Cockpit colours

N

noble

Ok folks can anyone tell me the cockpit colour for the FW190, the colour iam being given is RLM66 and is there a tamiya colour to match it?

scott:emo5:

F

Fenlander

Lifecolor do the LifeColor Dark Grey rlm 66 (22ml) FS 36081 which on screen looks similar to the Tamiya XF 63 german Grey, maybe a tad bluer though

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
RLM 66 is correct. It is indeed a dark grey maybe with a blue tinge. This is the colour inside the Ju88 recovered from a lake in Norway, and on the interior of an Me262.

Both photos seem to have been taken with flash which has made the colour brighter and a bit bluer (particularly the 262) than the original bits I have seen with the MkI eyeball. It'll get you in the ball park. I actually think any dark blue/grey will look close on a model.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 22329

View attachment 22330

cockpit0408-5..jpg

470px-Me262cockpi&#11.jpg

F

Fenlander

I am wondering if Tamiya XF-50 Field Blue would be close, or a mix of German Grey and Field Blue... I hope so as I bought a pot of Field blue without thinking what I was going to use it for. Mmmmm, something to try a mix of and some test patches.

N

noble

Gents a big thank you for the info, steve the pics are very usful ta mate.

scott

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Humbrol 32 or 79 is also a close colour to use

C

colprit

thought this might be useful for RLM colours http://www.rlm.at/download/rlmpdf_e.pdf

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's a good summary. I don't want to get too detailed (or too anal!) but I've devoted considerable time and effort to figuring out these Luftwaffe colours. Beware of bold statements like "..the colour RLM 84 is not given,as this colour did not officially exist" in any article about the Luftwaffe. Many serious researchers think it did exist. Just because the relevant documentation hasn't turned up doesn't mean it didn't! I'd say the jury is still out. Until 1986 those lovely red/white bottomed Fw190Ds that some are planning to do in the GB were assumed to have black/white lower surfaces. Things change.

Until very near the end of the war the colours applied to ALL Luftwaffe aircraft,wherever they were built, were closely matched to the RLM standard chips. Anything far off would be rejected ,just as it would have been here. The RLM sent out frequent reminders to paint manufacturers about the importance of matching these chips.If you plan to build something from before,say, mid to late 1944 you can bet that it's factory applied camouflage matched the relevant "Oberflächenschutzliste". These were very precise and detailed. What happened in the field is an entirely different subject.

Cheers

Steve

T

tonyb6000

I found a cockpit picture. Looks comfy!

http://www.nasm.si.edu/webimages/640/2001-130_640.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A very nice and useful piccy Tony. German cockpits were generally a snug fit which is odd as (having spent quite a bit of time working over there) Germans tend to be quite big lads. I think they used a cushion in service,I'll have a quick check and edit this.

Steve

Edit: I've got a couple of pictures that show a cushion and a drawing in a walkaround that may have come from a manual,also showing a cushion. I've got a pile of Fw190 manuals (all in german of course) and I'll have a flick through and post anything I find.

Edit 2: Pictures of seats in various manuals definitely show a cushion. They all look like this.

View attachment 22491

190seat..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
Pictures I have seen all show the parachute as a backpack type, which doesn't therefore serve as a cushion like the RAF types, coupled with the kit I have (albeit for Ta 152), shows a seat cushion. Colour given is brown.

The flight test information in one of my books refers to the semi-reclining seat position and its benefits in high "G" turns, so all the evidence for me points to there being a cushion.