Cold Front

First Name
Ty
Well, it's been a while since I posted anything new but I have finally finished my attempt at a cold cold looking diorama. Hope you like it.

Diorama represents elements of the armoured reconnaissance battalion of an SS Heavy Panzer Battalion. Time frame is early Jan 1945 along the Bastogne corridor and in particular the 6th US armoured Division. Recon is attempting to exploit gaps in the flanks. Although the 6th US Div did take flight, lack of forces and equipment prevented the situation from being exploited. While taking a short break to check bearings the surviving members of a tank crew have found them and some much needed help.

223 built OOB with the exception of some ad on stowage items. Painted with Tamiya acrylics and finished using the harispray method. Weathered with washes, pigments and Tamiya snow effects.

Schwimmwagen has numerous resin accessories including wheels, spare tire, and Black Dog stowage.

BMW modified with brake lines and wiring.

Various figure used including Evolution Miniature, Mantis etc.

All figures painted with Vallejo Acrylics and artists oils for flesh.

MiniArt Wall used for base along with a lot of micro balloons. I put the background upside down to try simulate ice fog at ground level but it didn't turn out like I had hoped.

Now for the pics. Hope you enjoy them.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb dio Ty ! its fantastic , the level of detail , the composition , everything. Its got a real cold feel to it , brilliant work! cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic diorama, well painted figures. Makes you feel the cold looking at those photos.

C

CDW

Nice nice nice and nice

Brilliant work ty

Great build clicked on all posts it's that good

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It might have been a while but well worth the wait.

What a wonderful and cold diorama. Great in every aspect.

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That is superb. 5 stars from me

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Now you got me shiverin'!

Gern

W

Willi262

I think the upside down cloud effect works better than you may expect. To my eyes, it looked like smoke and steam rising and condensing in the cold air, like the main fighting is only a few miles away...

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

brilliant. it has that frosty snowy look to it-love how you put the snow where it would naturally accumalate

First Name
Ty
Thanks everyone. The comments are much appreciated. It's kind of funny that I finished this at the same we are currently experiencing a cold snap where we are going below -40 Celsius with the windchill. I should do another desert diorama to try and warm up :smiling3:

Cheers

B

Bunkerbarge

I think this is a stunning diorama. The figure painting is perfect and demonstrates an amazing level of modelling skill and patience. The composition is spot on with interest everywhere but the guy helping his injured comrade really does it for me. A great human touch to really add life to the scene and bring you into the atmosphere and mood of the moment. I couldn't help but feel the poor guy is going to loose his foot if he doesn't get it warm soon!

Fantastic model, many thanks for taking the time to put such beautiful pictures together of it.

P

Plastickitbasher

Fantastic, brilliant, stunning work. Need a brew to warm up!!

T

tommy1drop

Fantastic work Ty, you can almost feel the cold, great work on the figures they look superb, top build buddy.

Tom

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
There isn't a word I could use to describe how brilliant this dio is

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Dumbfounded is all I can say! your figure work is just remarkable! Know the feeling though 8 below f here at mo! BRRRRRRR :eek: ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
just LOVE IT.:::: :D

Ty your a dark horse on this forum,we don't see you often,and then look what we get to see,just wow, ;)

Superb dio Ty ! its fantastic,such detail painted into the figures is just superb,im lost for words, :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator: