Colin M. Sopwith 5F.1 Dolphin, Copper State Models 1:48

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
anyone who can mix the definitive PC10 is deluding themselves!
I totally agree. Which is really good news, because no one can ever be wrong with their choice.
I don't know if dope can be called paint as that was the material they used to coat the fabrique on these planes...or is that a method?
True, all references here to paint, really should be dope. PC10 is dope with pigments added.

The build moves on, well, a bit anyway.
This was a real pain. The grey engine cowling was a bit too wide for the fuselage, no problem I though, I'll adjust it later. Totally forgetting that the IP sits snugly inside, meaning I couldn't 'squeeze' it to fit. Out with the needle files and some very careful fettling.
17.JPG

Time for wings. Unfortunately, this is all you get to attach the lower wings, which doesn't provide a very positive fit. To complicate things a bit further, the wings do have a slight dihedral.
18.JPG

So, the idea. I'll work backwards, or that might be upside down and attach the one piece upper wing first. Upper wing attached, wish me luck.
19.JPG

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good recovery of the engine cover Colin. This is starting to look like a cute plane...without the lower wing it can pass off as a Cessna. :smiling2: Very neat build. Like the sponge...my plane builds sit on hard surfaces at the mo.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
.without the lower wing it can pass off as a Cessna
I was thinking the same myself. It looks just about ready.

Well that wasn't too painful. It is correct. The lower wings are meant to be forward of the upper wings.
IMG_3706.JPG

Even kept the dihedral. Well, we'll see tomorrow when I remove the supports.
IMG_3707.JPG

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Colin, there was a Beechcraft biplane that had the same forward lower wing stagger if I'm not mistaken. Now I know there are two of such kind.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very crisp and tidy. Odd set up with the lower wing forward. As Richard mentioned not often seen.
As for the colour of PC10. I think that it looks about as right as we can guess. If only they had colour photographs those days! (but then what would we modellers have to discus).
So on to rigging soon then?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So on to rigging soon then?
Indeed. All rigging done. Fishing line has been used for the rigging, while some really fine elastic has been used for the control wires. Some wires need a bit of adjustment but that will have to wait until the Dolphin is sat in its wheels, all at rest in its natural state - these wings are a bit flexible.
The under carriage has been fitted with good old fashioned poly cement, the stuff that gives you loads of time to adjust and align. The Dolphin will sit like this tonight as the glue slowly sets.
CA was used to secure the rigging, but this has reacted with the paint in some places, but not others ? odd that. Not to worry, a post rigging touch up session shouldn't pose too much difficulty.
20.JPG

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Colin, nicely done with strings attached.

Cheers,
Richard

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Apologies colin , ive been out of the loop for a good while so ove missed the ongoing build . Just caught up now and its looking exceptional mate . Youre a master of rigging and its one thing that really brings a model like this to life . As for the colours theyre perfect to me , its impossible to say what particular shade of pc10 any aircraft may have been without a colour photo reference , even then all sorts of factors could change the appearance , people might as well argue about what colour dinosaurs were ! end of the day theres no wrong , just what looks right to the individual , and i like the look of yours :thumb2:
Nearly there now , keep at it , cheers tony

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great work Colin. This is turning into a real cracker.....sounds like you’d recommend CSM as a manufacturer as well.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Colin
Really looking good. Colouring looks right to my eyes. Well done with those wings. The attachment was certainly rather iffy but you have got them looking nice. Rigging :thumb2: :smiling: :thumb2:
Jim

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
sounds like you’d recommend CSM as a manufacturer as well
I do, it's quite a quality kit. I'll have to see what else the do.
The attachment was certainly rather iffy
It was indeed. Attaching bi-plane wings is something to really take slowly. No fast setting glues used here.

It's finished...... I have a Dolphin on my shelves. Not something I thought I would ever type.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
My apologies, Ive been absent of late so I’m catching up with all the progress on the GB.

Your making an excellent job of this build...very clean and tidy.
How you fly guys do that rigging so neatly blows my mind :surprised: