Colin M's Revell 1:32 Seafire Mk1b

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well gentlemen, if a friend should ever ask you to build this kit for him or her, disown them. You don't need this kit or that person in your life. Having said that, after many hours of filling and sanding, here we are.

It's in flying mode, as the undercarriage was slightly even more rubbish than the rest of the kit. To Revell's credit, they did try to make the landing gear movable, so you can raise and lower when ever you like. I don't think it would work these days as the mold just sort of adds extra plastic anywhere it feels like. So, a steel rod and a yogurt pot saved the day.

I went back to acrylic for the base layers, saving the MRP for the detailing later on.

Research (get me sounding all important) suggested these are dirty aircraft. Even armed with that knowledge, I believe I've been quite restrained with my weathering. https://www.armouredcarriers.com/ has some great footage of Seafires.

Anyway, evidence below, I did finish it and not deposit in the bin, but it was a close call.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Any questions or comments, please fire away. If you are going to ask 'should I get one' No. This advice is my gift to you.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Whatever the issues you had with the build, that's a cracking result!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks good to me Colin. A rotten kit that stretches skills and patience but turns out well in the end does give a kinda satisfaction. Maybe that's just seeing the damn thing off the bench :smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You’ve made a silk purse from it, no matter how much of a pigs ear the kit is. Excellent finish Colin. Exhaust stains would finish her off, but then, after the trials she’s given you, they might finish you off instead ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Maybe that's just seeing the damn thing off the bench
Yes Jim, I was gad to finally say, 'it's done' - well sort of.
Exhaust stains would finish her off, but then, after the trials she’s given you, they might finish you off instead
How can I have a tatty aircraft, devoid of exhaust staining - it must be a miracle. Or maybe this slightly beyond middle aged person forgot ? Who knows.... But here we are, high lead content fuel, hence a grey exhaust.
Yes Steve, it certainly was a beating, for me I think !
Its turned out well Colin, like the weathered finish.
I always thought sea going aircraft were kept in really good condition. But I was able to find some good references to show that wasn't true.
7.jpg

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment chaps.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I see a well "seasoned" bird that has had many missions and little or no cosmetic maintenance. The chipping on wing and cockpit plus the exposed rivet heads on the Rondel really tell the story. :thumb2: