Completed: Ambush in Grozny

G

Greg147

Hi all. A few days late, but here we are, my finished winter GB build. Not quite what I planned when I set out, but at least it's done ;)

It's in 1/35 scale, and features Zvezda's Spetsnatz set and an Esci BMP-2. The background is that a Russian convoy moving through Grozny is ambushed by Chechen fighters, and the Spetsnatz team quickly dismounts to defend themselves. RPGs are fired from distant rooftops, and the Spetsnatz sniper joins the BMP's crew in returning fire while his comrades stay behind cover. The diorama shows this small segment of the battle.

As always, feedback and critism is most welcomed, enjoy and thanks for looking

View attachment 42251

View attachment 42252

View attachment 42253

View attachment 42254

View attachment 42255

View attachment 42256

View attachment 42257

View attachment 42258

DSCF1503.jpg

DSCF1505.jpg

DSCF1507.jpg

DSCF1509.jpg

DSCF1511.jpg

DSCF1512.jpg

DSCF1513.jpg

DSCF1514.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A great diorama Greg like you said showing a little snipit of war very well thought out and built

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like this Greg, well painted, simple and uncomplicated. It keeps the eye nicely focused.

The figure poses are excellent. The bloke pointing out the target for the sniper.....all good stuff.

Very well done,

Ron

D

dubster72

This is really nice work Greg, I think the composition of the Rio is excellent. A couple or points though ; the BMP us too shiny, it really needs matting down. Also, the Spetznaz guys weapons are silver, most weapons are black with silvery highlights from use & wear.

I hope you don't think I'm criticizing you, just adding some pointers to help you improve, something I've been able to do since joining scale models.

Keep up the good work!

Patrick

P

Polux

Really nice dio!!!

The poses of the figures it's very good and shows a scene of very correct action. The work of painting is very good too!! Congratulations!!

Polux

G

Greg147

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated :smiling3:

Patrick, you're absolutely right (don't worry, no offense taken ;) ). The BMP is too shiney, and I'm not sure why. Normally, I apply a watered down acrylic paint mixture to a model, and it gives it a very matt, dusty look, as can sort of be seen on the figures. This time however, something went wrong, and it came out shiney no matter what I tried. I don't know whether the mixture was wrong, or the paint I was using was naff, but short of removing the transfers and repainting the whole thing, there was nothing really I could do to fix it. So I applied some dyes to the rest of the base to make that look sort of wet, and went for a 'just been raining' look. The figures look dry because they've been inside the vehicle, or at least that's my explaination ;)

The paint on the guns is gun-metal grey, which I hoped would be the best of both worlds when it came to painting guns black and silver. They look lighter in the photos than they actually are, but I see your point about adding more detail in terms of applying silver wear-and-tear to specific areas. I'll try that with the next 1/35 figures I do, although I think for the next few GBs I'll go back to my 1/72 comfort zone where I belong!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, it's always nice to read some comments :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Glad you're ok with what I said Greg, it can be a minefield offering constructive comments! As far as the guns go, paint them black & very lightly drybrush with silver or gunmetal, that gives a nice effect.

Keep going with 1/35 coz that's gotta be easier than braille scale! I've a large 1/72 dio representing a scene from Kelly's Heroes that's taking me forever!

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Gregg, if your worried about the shinyness of the vehicle. an easy solution to this and to your figures, if you wish, is to get in the shed and find some Polyfilla powder. Then with a soft paint brush just apply the powder, then flick the model to remove any excess.

I use this method as a matter of course whenever I complete a build, it's easy and works every time.

To weather the weapons, get a pencil, 3, 4 or 5B (Five is the softest of these) gently go along the gun edges with the point and then rub the graphite/ lead with your finger. This produces a most wonderful shine and worn look to the 'Metal'

Repeat if required....

Cheers,

Ron

OOPS! Sorry Patrick, I posted this before I realised you had already replied to Greg!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great dio.

There is another way to get around the shiny problem. Just say its raining!!!

Well thought out scene.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice one Greg.

With the muddy base you've put it on "it's been raining" is perfect.

Tony.

G

Greg147

Thanks again for the comments guys, and some handy tips there. I can see using a pencil on the guns as as something I should have thought of, but I'd never have considered Polyfilla powder as a means of removing the shiny effect. Next time I have a problem like that, I'll be sure to give it a try. Learn something new everyday ;)