Completed Crashed Fw190. A classic "Fliegerdenkmal"

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Based on a photo in Rodeicke's mighty Fw190 reference book heres my "pilot's monument".

It is from the Tamiya 1/72 scale A-3 with decals from the spares box (limited in this scale!)

First my take on the original in B+W.

And colour.

And a quick walkaround.

I just noticed that I need to put a bit of "mud" on the tyres and wheels,something for tomorrow now...doh

This was good fun but I'm returning to a larger scale for my next project!

Cheers

Steve

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
great stuff steve .... how do u get bending of the propellors right ...? rgds lindsey

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, I like it!

I just couldn't help smiling, not at the model, but imagining the abject embarrassment of the pilot, strap hanging for all to see!

That's what I call a muddy field too. Great result.

Cheers,

Ron

T

TonyBv9

Looks great Steve. As an image, it's also strangely symbolic of the fate of the Luftwaffe, and the Reich itself. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dare I say "Bullseye!" lol

Nice little result there Steve. I have a question for you though. Was there some kind of latch thingie for the canopy. I was wondering how it would of stayed open, and how the hell the pilot would of opened it while hanging face down in the gun sight. lol.

Nice one that It appeals to my twisted sense of humor.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps.

Lindsey I use hot water to soften and bend the propellers. Don't immerse the whole part as you only want to bend the tips. I use about 5mm of boiling water in the bottom of one of the bosse's frying pans,when she's not looking. I bend the prop tips on the bottom of the pan.

Ian the Fw190 canopy opened and closed with a hand crank driving a geared mechanism to slide the hood. It could be locked open.

Here's a drawing and text from a translation of the A-8 handbook.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great diorama Steve, love the way the aircraft has ended up resting squarely on its nose. Most nose-overs would have ended up with the aircraft resting on its mains and nose, so this flieger must have had a particularly bad day in the office. Great work.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
By the way the diorama base reminded me of chocolate cake and now I am very hungry again.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Great diorama Steve, love the way the aircraft has ended up resting squarely on its nose.
It's why I went for this one. I was flicking through various books looking for something suitable when I saw the original photo of this incident. Even Peter Rodeicke,in his text,calls it a "klassisches fliegerdenkmal",a classic pilot's monument.

Now you've gone and mentioned chocolate cake I'll have to go raiding the fridge for something sweet :smiling3: A black forest gateaux would be nice,but I'm more likely to find some asparagus!

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job steve , its just like the photo. These 1/72 tamiya kits look really nice i might have to try one! Loving the muddy ploughed field , you never told us what happened to the poor pilot , did he get a severe telling off !? (or just merciless mickey taking from the rest of the squadron/ Gruppe ?!) heres 5 stars for you , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
you never told us what happened to the poor pilot , did he get a severe telling off !? (or just merciless mickey taking from the rest of the squadron/ Gruppe ?!)
Thanks Tony.

The pilot was Fw.Albert Wittmann. He can't have been badly injured in this accident. He eventually left JG 5 and finished the war in Norway with III./KG 200 which was a unit experimenting with "Mistel" combination aircraft. He was not credited with any victories.

The Fw190 doing a head stand was obviously not badly damaged. It served again with JG 5 before ending up at a fighter training school (jagdfliegerschule) JFS 3.

As you know 1/72 is not really my thing but this little kit from Tamiya is absolutely outstandingly good.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for that reply Steve. I had a sneaky suspicion that there was some form of smart set-up for the canopy.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job Steve. I like the idea of chocolate cake...........Imagine poor Herr Wittmann, the embarrasment of the situation. I wonder how long it took him to live that one down ? and as a bonus, I think in my tiny stash, I've got a 1:72 Tamiya FW 190.

Colin M..

D

dubster72

Typically fine work Steve, excellently done in such a small scale.

Cheers

Patrick

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fantastic work Steve. A great idea. Seeing a FW190 nose down in a field reminds me of the saying"How the Mighty have fallen". Great work on such a small scale, well done.

Steve