Alan
Looks fantastic Colin.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
nice build colin,everything open too, lovely engine detail. Not really a criticism but the aerial cable is a bit hairy, theres loads of different methods people use, stretched sprue,nylon thread, fishing line or my method-bait elastic. I dont want to sound critical ,its just that it stands out a bit in pic 3 , its still a fine build. cheers tony

C

colprit

Tony I thought that it did'nt look right either and forgot to change it. I might do it later only trouble with it is the gluing to the canopy top, I used uhu this time but not sure if stretch sprue or anything else would stick with it. I used the thread that revel give you with their kits this time. Any tips re glue that wont frost up the canopy would be a great help in this matter.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Looks good Colin, you've made me feel better saying you had troubles as well, I got really annoyed with mine several times, and so I've put it away for a while until it behaves it's self.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi colin, the fact that it connects directly to the canopy is a tricky one.You could try stretched sprue ,measured and cut to the exact length needed ,then attached carefully with some pva glue or similar canopy glue (ie formula 560 ,available at modelzone). Personally i would try this first ,as, if it doesnt work out right ,the glue wont mark anything and you could try again. I would get a blob of the glue out first ,then let it sit for 10 mins or so to thicken up a bit, meanwhile get a pair of dividers or a steel rule and measure and cut the exact length of stretched sprue youre going to need, Its then a case of carefully attaching it without it falling off,hopefully the glue will be quite tacky so should get a decent hold till it sets. You can add the small section going from the cable to the fuselage later using the same method (id give it a day to set though) hope this is of some help , cheers tony

D

Dingbat

I was thinking of trying this.Has anyone tried anything like this before?.2 EZ Line Charcoal .003 Sample Packs (6') on eBay (end time 12-May-10 17:28:07 BST)

Last edited:
N

noble

Hi colin lovely build and the detail looks very nice i love the engine, will you put it in a dio? good work.

scott

F

Fenlander

Nice one Colin, the wire is a problem going as it does to the clear canopy. I have used some 2lb fishing line that I used to rig the Albatros but it may be a bit too fine. Looks good, you are right about the mottling..... its a pig lol

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice one Colin. Another good one finished!

I'm going to have to pull my finger out and start building instead of gallivanting off to model shows every 5 minutes!

Didn't someone here suggest you drill a small hole in the canopy, tie a large knot in your aerial thread/line/wire and feed it through from the inside? You can then use whatever you like to fix it at the other end as you're not on clear plastic. Alternatively, you could fix your line to some part of the fuselage underneath the canopy. (It's obviously fed there somehow in the real 'plane. I'm sure Steve posted some pictures but how much detail do you want to add?). Again, as you're not on clear plastic you can fix it however you like. Just don't forget if you use Superglue to let the fumes clear before you fix your canopy!

Gern

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job Colin, I always love an engine pic or two, I always think it displays the effort gone into the plane. Well done.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice job Colin, well done....Another one for the GB shelf!

On the topic of aerials. what I found to be the easiest was use the method Dave has posted i.e. drill a very small hole in the canopy top (I used a hot needle) For the aerial itself, I used some suitable diameter black sewing cotton and ran it across a beeswax block a couple of times. Not only does it stiffen it up, it leaves a semi-matt shine...just like the proper thing!

Ron

C

colprit

Thanks everyone for all your comments and also for the tips re aerial wires I've taken them all on board. Not sure if I will do a dio as I have yet to try this skill and never sure where to start, got loads of ideas in my head but getting out of there is the problem at the moment, I think I am chickening out the more I think about doing one.

Regards

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nicely done Colin,well done with the detail as well. If it's any consolation I intend to have a bash at my first ever diorama. I'm reasonably confident about building tiny (for me) 1/72 aircraft but as for the rest,what can possibly go wrong!

Re: antenna wires,it was indeed me who passed it through the hood. I simply used white glue to fix a knot into a countersunk hole on the inside of the hood as my antenna wire attached to a hook and did not continue on into the aircraft. The same could be done on yours or,if you feel adventurous, you could pass it through the canopy and then double it back to attach inside the fuselage as per the real thing. As someone said you can make adjustments at the tail end which is well away from clear parts and relatively safe!

I use 1kg fishing line at 1/32 and give it a coat of aluminium enamel paint. The wires were made from stainless steel. All the other ideas work fine but I like fishing line as it can be tensioned after it is fixed. I heat a spatula over the cooker and pass this under the line to tighten it up. You do need to be careful or you'll be starting again lol. To simulate tensioners I pull a blob of white glue along the line as it dries and then paint it grey. Again if you feel adventurous you can use an old fashioned light bulb filament for this. I used to but I've given up now.....just too fiddly!

Attachments are the inside of the Fw190 hood,same method on an Me262,white glue joiners/tensioners.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23446

View attachment 23447

View attachment 23448

IMG_2097..jpg

IMG_2096..jpg

aerial wire..jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice job Colin, looks a nice kit too. Will have to put it in my stash sometime.

Have fun, John

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Steve,

Just a quick line to say I'm not trying to pinch the credit for your ideas! I remembered seeing your suggestion about fixing aerials but I couldn't remember where I'd seen it

Mind you, that's about the story of my life. I've only ever been able to remember about half the stuff I need to know!

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Hi Steve,Just a quick line to say I'm not trying to pinch the credit for your ideas! I remembered seeing your suggestion about fixing aerials but I couldn't remember where I'd seen it

Mind you, that's about the story of my life. I've only ever been able to remember about half the stuff I need to know!

Gern
I didn't think that for one minute. I couldn't remember where I'd posted the piccies either, hence posting them here again. It's only one method,the more techniques people post the more options we all have. Hopefully we can all find one that works for us!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well done Colin. I fixed my ariel wire; stretched spru, with super glue. The trick is to put a few drops on a bit of card or paper then just keep poking at it with a pin. It will thicken to a gel and then just take a tiny blob og it and put it where the cable should go. Once dry and hard repeat at the other end. If you use Sprue, if its a bit loose when done, you can tighten it by warming it. VERY CAR FULLY. If I dont have a incense stick lieing around I use the hot end of a smoke to do the job.

You made a good job of opeing the panels. Nice engine too.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Colin - the mottling looks cool.

Re: the aerial attachment issue. There is another glue that I use that is (I think) a bit more secure than white glue and won't fog the canopy like superglue. G-S Hypo cement is used by jewelers and dries clear. It also has a precision tube so you can put the glue exactly where you want it. It is a bit more difficult to get hold of - got mine off ebay!!! I think drilling a hole into the canopy to except the stretched sprue/thread is also a good idea to make the bond stronger. Might be worth sticking a small piece of masking tape over the canopy first, marking the hole on that, then drilling the hole through the tape. In this way the drill bit won't slip.

Nice engine detail too!

Paul

C

colprit

Thanks paul for your comments and tip re glue. I will definitly look into that as finding a good glue for clear parts is a real pain. The plane was brush painted and i did the mottling with a piece of makeup sponge dipped into paint and then into a drop of water to thin it out a bit, I then got some of the rlm 76 colour and touched it in at ramdom places until I was happy with it. what I would do next time though is wear some surgical gloves as it does get a bit messy.