Completed: Gern's new dio - and how they can so easily get out of control!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Funnily enough Tony, I was thinking about this one the other day. I'll have some skeletons left over and I already have lots of foam - I only need to find figures for Jason and his crew. Hmmmmm.

Just noticed on your pic. - all the skeletons are left handed! Wonder why?

S

Stevekir

I love the postures of the skeletons. Very dynamic and not at all stiff and rigid.

For many years I have wanted a full sized (or no smaller than half sized) human skeleton around the house but, you guessed it, her indoors has an it-or-me attitude, and she cooks much better than a skeleton would. I would love to have some friends home to an evening meal and have boney joining us. But I don't think I have any friends who could handle that. An alternative would be a snake's skeleton, all those ribs, but she would be out the door in seconds. WARNING Snake skeleton below:

.View attachment 118850

Snake.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. So maybe a skeleton can't cook - but it can't answer back either so you'd be guaranteed to win all the arguments!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Funnily enough Tony, I was thinking about this one the other day. I'll have some skeletons left over and I already have lots of foam - I only need to find figures for Jason and his crew. Hmmmmm.
Just noticed on your pic. - all the skeletons are left handed! Wonder why?
.... and so is Jason!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. Got the skeleton figures done.

View attachment 118960

Some of the poses may look a little weird. The positions of the legs are fixed with the skeletons standing and fighting. I need them lying down so I've had to pose them with their legs resting on various objects - like the one that's fallen across the table. They look OK once in position. (I also resisted the temptation to chop off limbs here and there - just the one guy who lost his head).

Some accessories to dot about along with the main doors.

View attachment 118958

Finally got the dark grey finished. I'll be adding lighter greys and drybrushing.

View attachment 118959

Accessories.JPG

Chamber1.JPG

Skeletons.JPG

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Outrageous!!:eek:

That is one cooool dio!!:cool::cool::cool:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I love the postures of the skeletons. Very dynamic and not at all stiff and rigid.
For many years I have wanted a full sized (or no smaller than half sized) human skeleton around the house but, you guessed it, her indoors has an it-or-me attitude, and she cooks much better than a skeleton would. I would love to have some friends home to an evening meal and have boney joining us. But I don't think I have any friends who could handle that.

]
During my student days I always wanted a human skeleton to stand in the corner and use as a hat and scarf stand. But I think that was down to too many episodes of Rising Damp.

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Wow, Chamber of Mazarbul... I like it!

I am re-reading the LOTR right now as a matter of fact. Those figures look great, and the skeletons are really going to work nice.

And its funny; when the first photo of the skeleton box was posted, the first thing that popped to mind was Jason and the Argonauts. A great flick to be sure.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking great,very nice work with the bits and bob,s ,and skeleton, ;)

are they meant to be the dead dwarfs or ores,

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the nice comments folks.

Dave: Here you go: http://www.bing.com/search?q=Skeleton+for+Sale&FORM=R5FD6

Brett: I'm already looking for figures to represent Jason & his crew. If I find any, that will go on my 'to do' list!

Moni: A skeleton is a skeleton is a skeleton ...... from the size I'd have to say they're more likely to be orcs, but as they're the only ones I've got, they'll have to do for both.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Now there's an idea might just have to try that sometime in the future

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Now there's an idea might just have to try that sometime in the future
Which one? The dio or a full-size skeleton? :D

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Be the dio haven't got room for a full sized skeleton plus the fact it would freak me out at nights imagine waking up and seeing one of those life size

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Be the dio haven't got room for a full sized skeleton plus the fact it would freak me out at nights imagine waking up and seeing one of those life size
Got to agree there Colin. I live on my own so if I got one I'd probably end up talking to it, making meals for it or even calling it 'Wilson' .....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Putting your excellent dio. to one side for a minute, what on earth were you doing up and about at 3:12 AM?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Working on the bit of my dio I nearly forgot to do (pics soon) - what else?

PS My body clock seems to have a natural 27 hour cycle, so without having set times imposed on me by external events, such as work, I find myself getting up and going to bed at some really strange times. C'est la vie!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
So now comes the clever bit.

Have a look at these two images from the film;

View attachment 119128

View attachment 119129

Notice there is a line of relief carving in sort of diamond shapes that runs all round the chamber.

The guy who did the original build that mine is based on ( http://www.one-ring.co.uk/kb.php?a=42) worked out a nice way to represent these carvings. I take absolutely no credit for this - it was all his idea.

He used some pinking shears to cut lines of diamond shapes from thin card which he then stuck to the walls and columns around his chamber. I couldn't do that as the only set of pinking shears I was able to get hold of are rather old and battered.

View attachment 119125

View attachment 119126

That gap between the blades is best part of 1mm wide - which is wider than the thickness of the card I'm using. And besides which, as I've already mentioned I can't cut straight, so I couldn't get the diagonal cuts to line up to produce diamonds. Most of the time I ended up with zig-zag shapes.

View attachment 119122

Of course, if I wanted zig-zags, I'd end up with diamonds!

However, I marked out and cut two strips of triangles. I can now match these together to form the diamond shapes I need once I've straightened out the pieces.

View attachment 119127

View attachment 119124

The gap will be closed up and hidden with either filler or paint when I get them fixed in place.

I've done these so far - which is about half what I need

View attachment 119123

Before anyone asks. No, I won't be doing the Runic inscriptions which cover the rest of the walls. It's only going to be a history about Moria and Dwarfs (Dwarves?). If anyone wants the details - read the books!!!

Cut wrong.JPG

Half strips.JPG

Joined.JPG

Shears1.JPG

Shears2.JPG

Straightened.JPG

fotr1128.jpg

fotr1139.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I forgot to mention. I found and ordered some figures for Jason & The Argonauts so it looks like that will be my next dio. I'll do a brief in-box review when I get them.

I also looked at a video clip from the film and Jason and the skeletons are all right-handed. I guess someone got a transparency from the original film for Tony's picture and filmed it from the wrong side.