Completed***REVELL USS BURTON ISLAND - ICE BREAKER*** Completed

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The USS Burton Island was launched in 1946. Length 269 ft. She had a crew of 243 and a speed of 16 knots.

The icebreaking ships of the US. Navy took on a new importance when scientific bases were established in the Arctic and Antarctic regions. The only way to get large quantities supplies was by sea, which would be impossible to do without icebreakers.

She was fitted with several high speed water pumps, which allowed water to be pumped from one side of the ship to the other, or bow to stern. These were used to keep the ship in constant motion when she was caught in pack ice. She was eventually scrapped in 1982

The kit which is about 11" long, has some inaccuracies for sure, but I just build models as they come, so I didn't do any alterations, just enjoyed the build.....

I've modelled the ship in three stages...The Preparation / The Assault / The Breakthrough. This was done by adding and sticking more of the 'ice' on the base as the mission unfolds...Obviously I had to do the 'Assault' build last as this needed the whole base covered with ice. So all I have left of the Prep. and Breakthrough are the pictures you see here.....

Enough prattle.

Here are the rather too many stage pictures taken by a brave crew member and a passing helicopter!

I hope you will like this set.

Cheers,

Ron

Hove to in flat calm waters on the edge of the ice flow. Preparing for the morning...The temperature is dropping rapidly and ice is forming on the ship....."We'll set off first light."

View attachment 93896

View attachment 93897

View attachment 93898

View attachment 93899

View attachment 93900

View attachment 93901

First light and the assault begins.......

View attachment 93902

The sun shines for a brief spell....

View attachment 93903

View attachment 93904

View attachment 93905

The sun is setting...The cold is intense....Ice is quickly forming on the ship

View attachment 93906

View attachment 93907

View attachment 93908

View attachment 93909

View attachment 93910

Sunset and still battering onwards!

View attachment 93911

Breakthrough!

The sun is out and clear water ahead.......Success, well done, men!

View attachment 93912

View attachment 93913

View attachment 93914

View attachment 93915

Four more pictures to do....

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 092.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 085.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 081.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 077.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 083.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 091.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 098.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 107.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 110.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 112.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 117.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 120.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 121.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 097.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 123.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 146.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 045.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 064.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 037.jpg

USS Burton Island....Ice Breaker 050.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

I see, going for top photographer as well as top modeller of the year title. Seriously though superb work as we have grown to expect from you Ron, supported by very atmospheric photos. Got to be a great build. Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's brilliant Ron, as Derek points out, very atmospheric. You must have waited days for the perfect sky.

I worked on a ship some years ago that had 'Ice breaking capabilities' This ship broke the ice by gently riding up onto the ice, then falling through the now broken ice. Maybe that's how all ice breakers do it - I don't know.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
This ship broke the ice by gently riding up onto the ice, then falling through the now broken ice. Maybe that's how all ice breakers do it - I don't know.
That's what I thought, but when I read up on this ship, I found that her bow was designed in such a way that the ice was initially pushed downwards, rather than her riding up and relying on sheer weight.....Roll on a pub quiz about ice breakers!

Thanks for the great post.....

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
why cant we click the 'great build' button more than once? :cool: thats a really impressive build

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I don't believe this is a model ,I reckon you've just got a load of pics of the actual ship

, I mean there's no other explanation is there ???!!!!!! Seriously Ron mate, this is unbelievably good . your eye for a story and skill in composing and photographing a scene is truly superb. Not to mention the excellent build and stunning ice and water effects . its always a treat to see your posts .great build just doesn't convey how much I like this. Cheers Tony

N

noble

Brilliant work as always Ron and the photography just adds to the kit top notch.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You have a touch for building Sea scape's Ron that many people would envy. You just make them look so real

Great Job.

Brilliant photos as well. Sub set and still battling on should be in the photocomp!

Ian M

First Name
Gregg
ERRR! just WOW! to the idea, build & photography. Just can't say anymore.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Brilliant,Ron,you do have such away with water and ice,stunning pics as well,looks like the real thing,

real cannot say more,Brilliant,lov it so well done, :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautifully done Ron. Everything about this is great, including the photos.

P

Polux

Terrific one, Ron!!

I love the photo by photo story :smiling3:

Ah, mate! Amazing and awesome build, base and photographies!!!!!

Simply genial, Ron! Is it possible to overcome this...? Where are your limits...? ;)

D

dubster72

Another superb piece of maritime brilliance Ron! Not only is the ship great, but the base, water & ice effects leave me speechless.

As for the photography ... I really thought you'd sneaked in a few 'actual' pictures there ;)

So enough practising, tell Mrs Ron the living room floor is needed & let's see the final battle of the Bismarck!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Top stuff as always Ron.

Back to painting Zulus now, or are you finishing your dream house first?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks for your terrific comments on my model. It really gives me a top drawer buzz to read your posts.

Dave, you're right, I suppose I'd better get back to Rorke's Drift and those bl***y Zulus.

.....and the wife is nagging about wanting to move in to our dream home....Fat chance before the year is out! Is there no peace?

Thanks again boys and Monica.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This is one of the best boat dio's I have ever seen, so simple yet so stunning and the photos just make it so exciting to view. Beautiful work Ron, just wonderful.

Si:smiling3: