Completed Slave I

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Whoa!! I missed another beauty. Nice work there Jim, sorry i missed it bud. Love the weathering, just right for Boba Fett.

Have fun, John

B

beav1013

not a problem john. thanks, i like seeing my old projects come back in my inbox. always a nice surprise.

thanks

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A great build and masterful paint job, all it needs now is a star field behind it to set it off perfectly.

5 stars.

Tony.

B

beav1013

thanks Flames and Tony. I do have the Finemolds Millenium Falcon in my stash. I ordered a bunch of paints for it that were not the color i thought they were going to be when they arrived, so it's been pushed back again (aside from me being terrified to start it with all the small pieces...). I think whenever i finish it, i'll have a friend of mine photoshop Slave I following the Falcon through the asteroid field from Empire. That could be cool.

Or try and do something with the landing pad that they both use in Empire in Cloud City. That could also be cool. But again, scared to start it... gotta do it sometime i suppose though.

S

saleem

i recieved my fine molds version just this friday gone,expensive but from what everyone was saying its a cool kit and pretty accurate,also after having an airfix (which is not on the back burner) i know fine molds version is gonna be well wortth every penny i spent on it.

if yours took 2 months i might have to wait till another time to undertake the task of constructing it,some nice chipping technique you employed there,mind if i ask what method you used to achieve the finish,i have some maskol and i used it on the airfix and it was pretty good for the effect.

:smiling3:

B

beav1013

thanks saleem. it only took me two months due to me having to redo the hull because of bad color choices. but for the chipping effect, i used liquid frisket. I'm pretty sure that's basically the same thing as maskol. i was unable to get some of it here in the states, but the liquid frisket worked great, dried pretty quickly and peeled right off. i had read that maskol could attack acrylic finishes. i use tamiya paints, and the frisket didn't attack it. just throwing it out there, something you might want to be aware of.

good luck.

B

beav1013

well, i finally worked up either enough courage or stupidity to pry off the canopy to fix it. since i started using future klear on my canopies, i've been wanting to go back and fix this since it always bothered me. I used a brand new #11 blade and gradually ran it through the joins to eventually cut through the glue to pop the canopy off.

then to get the old tinted clear coat off i soaked the canopy in some oxi-clean. if you ever have to remove acrylic paint, get some oxi clean. that stuff is fantastic. i then wet sanded the whole canopy with 1500 grit wet sandpaper and dunked the whole thing in future klear maybe 6 times over a couple day span. i think it looks a million times better, only problem is i can't get any good pics of it because it's so reflective now from the future klear.

View attachment 55998

View attachment 55999

View attachment 56000

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

First Name
Adrian
Awesome job, that screen is so realistic, love the whole build. I've got a couple of built Starfury's I may redo now after seeing your work.

Adrian

B

beav1013

thanks ade. careful with those clear parts though if you already have them glued on. they crack easily and there's no fixing that. good luck.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
thanks ade. careful with those clear parts though if you already have them glued on. they crack easily and there's no fixing that. good luck.
Luckily one came off on its own, I just ordered the gun upgrades and a new set of decals to get on with one of em and see how it goes :smiling3: The lighting kit was a little pricey maybe next time

Adrian

W

Waffen Bucks

This build is sweeeeeeeeeeet. Stunning weathering. Great job

W

Waffen Bucks

Did you use MIG liquid Dark Wash for the weathing effect, weathering dust/powder, or was it airbrushing skills?

I've a Slave 1 to build, did you contemplate placing any LED's in the engine section?

B

beav1013

i use a chalk pastel wash. the end result is probably similar to the mig productions washes. just scrape some chalk pastels off into a dish, add water to made it murky, a drop of dishwashing liquid, then apply. normally i do it over a gloss coat so that it is easily removed. applying it over a flat coat really stains the paint (sometimes that what you want though).

that was on the front of the ship though. i did do some weathering with the airbrush as well. the back/engine area was also done with the pastel wash but mainly that is airbrushing.

i had thought about doing LED's on it, but chickened out. i'd really love to do another Slave I again someday. maybe i'll light that one up.

W

Waffen Bucks

\ said:
i use a chalk pastel wash. the end result is probably similar to the mig productions washes. just scrape some chalk pastels off into a dish, add water to made it murky, a drop of dishwashing liquid, then apply. normally i do it over a gloss coat so that it is easily removed. applying it over a flat coat really stains the paint (sometimes that what you want though). that was on the front of the ship though. i did do some weathering with the airbrush as well. the back/engine area was also done with the pastel wash but mainly that is airbrushing.

i had thought about doing LED's on it, but chickened out. i'd really love to do another Slave I again someday. maybe i'll light that one up.
Cool. Thanks for the information