Completed Spitfire XIV

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is PCM's 1/32 kit. You can see how I got on with it here.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/15935-pcm-1-32-spitfire-mk-xivc.html

I've completed this aircraft as RB 188,DL*K,of 91 Sqn. RAF. There is some confusion about the identity of this aircraft but this one certainly had the "c" wing."Brunhilde" was flown by V-1 ace Flight Lieutenant H D Johnson,amongst many others,on several occasions. H.D. Johnson was also nicknamed "Johnny" but not to be confused with the more famous J E Johnson.

I've done it around about the second week in June 1944 with full invasion stripes,showing a bit of wear and tear.

Here's a quick "walkaround"

The high back,late Mark,Griffon powered Spitfires might not have been the best of the bunch,but they are certainly as beautiful as any other Spitfire.

They look like a MkV that's been at the steroids :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

A stunning piece of work Sir, 5 Star from me. Cheers Derek

Last edited:
First Name
Aaron
Fantastic outcome Steve.

Love the nose art.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Simply beautiful steve. The weathering on the stripes is spot on , and the rest of the build is superb , big 5 from me , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a beauty Steve.

Love it.

Big five from me as well.

IanM

M

mobear

absolutely awesome,and now lost for words.did they use this spits to tap the wings of doodlebugs to throw them off?just wondered

mobear

P

Pete Mac

Another splendid example Steve. Is the nose art decal or hand painted. By the way, have you started your Dragon ME109 yet. Have made a tentative start on mine but have read somewhere of fit problems wih the engine cowl ! but hav'nt reached that stage yet. Always nice to see your work. Regards, Pete

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps,I appreciate the nice comments and am glad you like it. These PCM kits really look accurate to my untutored eye and are well worth the effort to build them.

Ole,these Spitfires were used in an anti V-1 role. These operations were code named "Diver" and aircraft like RB 188 engaged on such missions had the so called "gem" modifications to their Griffon engines. As far as I can establish this was some kind of carburettor tweak but I'm not a mechanic.

There are a couple of cases of "tipping" of V-1s. No contact was actually made,the airflow under the Spitfire wing disrupted that over the V-1 wing at close proximity,depriving it of lift,destabilising it and causing it to tumble. The Spitfire pilot would position his wing above that of the V-1,not below it as most people believe. More usually the V-1 would be engaged,from behind,with machine gun and cannon fire. Not for the faint hearted as the attacking aircraft would inevitably be uncomfortably close to any resulting explosion.

Pete,I haven't started on the 109 yet. I was planning to do something completely different,the old Monogram Eastern Airlines DC-3 kit but mine is minus instructions and I need to find some as it's not an aircraft I'm familiar with.

It's a toss up between the Cyber Hobby Bf 109 and a Hasegawa Fw 190 D-9 done as Theo Nibel's famous aircraft,downed by a bird strike on operation Bodenplatte. The latter is a project I've had in mind for a while.

I'd like to do the Bf 109 as von Werra's aircraft but have yet to look for decals (or masks). I've not heard of cowling fit problems on the Cyberhobby 109,there were definitely problems fitting the cowlings around the engine on the Eduard version. I guess we'll find out soon enough :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Really nice model Steve. Spot on......Big 5!

I always like your releases 'cos not only do you give a bit of history, you always answer any questions, giving yet more info. and even more history...And we thank you for that.

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks again.

It's as much about the history as the model for me Ron!

I forgot to answer the question about the nose art. It's a decal and like all of those for this model (by Cartograph) is very good.

Here's a pathetic attempt at some close up photography! You'll get an idea I hope.

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
Thanks again.It's as much about the history as the model for me Ron!

I forgot to answer the question about the nose art. It's a decal and like all of those for this model (by Cartograph) is very good.

Here's a pathetic attempt at some close up photography! You'll get an idea I hope.

Cheers

Steve
I'm liking that, very much :smiling3: