Compressor hiccups and coughs

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all I seem to be having problems with my air compressor. Once it fills the tank to 57psi it used to shut off and you would hear what I would describe as a plinking noise which I presume is a solenoid cutting off the motor. You could then run an airbrush for a while before the motor would cut in again to replenish the tank. Over the last few days it has started coughing and spluttering once the tank is getting full and will eventually shut off no plinking noise is heard. As soon as you start using the airbrush it will immediately start up again. Obviously there's something wrong. Has anybody got an Ideas on how to fix this? I have emailed the firm I bought it off but have had no response so far. It's under the year in age so should be covered by the warranty. Anybody got a quick fix?

Vaughan

M

msm2

It sounds like you have water in the compressor tank. Need to drain completely. Is it an AS186 with tank.

Tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Tony here's a photo of my compressor it is a AS186. Not sure how to do that do you unscrew the brass screw at the bottom of the tank?.

Vaughan

View attachment 44411

_MG_0068.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

msm2

Remove the bottom brass screw. Place plenty of paper towels under compressor and tilt back and forward. Water will be smelly and may be black in colour. Water will stain. Once done replace brass screw and run compressor.

Tony..

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Tony I have done what you said got about half a milk bottle cap of dirty rusty black water. Have tried running the compressor but it still doesn't cut off properly. Do I need to leave it overnight to drain completely?

Vaughan

M

msm2

All water drained out replace the screw. This is the same problem I had with my AS186. I removed the head of the compressor and it too had water . Cleaned all out with paper towel. How are you with taking it apart. This would void your warranty.

Tony..

M

msm2

It is easy to take the head off with a suitable allen key. Just clean all components. Make sure you clean under the white rubber/plastic valve. I found I had a white compound which stopped the valve from closing.

Tony..

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Taking it apart would be fine but the warranty doesn't run out till the 29th of next month so not sure if it's a good idea to start dismantling it at this stage. I will see if the airbrush compressor shop contact me tomorrow with a solution.

Thanks for your help and advice Tony

Vaughan

M

msm2

If no joy I can show you how I did it with mine. Photo by photo instructions.

Tony..

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Good news on the compressor front I've just had an email off the firm I bought it off and they are sending me a replacement in the post today:dancing2:so I'm well chuffed

Vaughan

D

dubster72

Excellent news Vaughan! I'm now in your boat with a broken compressor, though that was my fault!

Cheers

Patrick

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Yes I was really surprised to hear back from them and there was no quibble about replacing it. luckily it was still under warranty( till the end of March). What went wrong with yours?

Vaughan

D

dubster72

Which firm was it? Good customer service is hard to find these days!

I broke the hose fitting when it took a tumble, so I've had to order a new hose. Only £4 but it's frustrating waiting for it with work sitting on the bench!

Cheers

Patrick

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I bought it from the airbrushcompressorshop.co.uk Patrick.

Vaughan

D

dubster72

Cool, I'll check with them the next time I need something.