Confederate Railroad

N

N B FORREST

BEEN SCOURING THE OLD HIGHWAY FOR CONFEDERATE LOCOMOTIVES, WAGONS, FLATBEDS ETC, OO/HO SCALE TOCOMPLIMENT 25MM WARGAMES....ANY HINTS WHERE TO LOOK, PREFERABLY WORKING MODELS, NOT STERILE KITS,

I THANK YOU FOR YOUR COURTESY IN ADVANCE...ONWARD TO RICHMOND...

:knight:

R

rkapuaala

Not sure where you would go to find an exact replica of a confederate engine. The confederacy was for a brief moment of history, and I doubt they had many trains controlled by the confederate states of America.

More than likely they would have been wood burning, narrow guagers, and I think no more than a 4-4-0 wheel wyte or even less. Because of that, you can probably get away with using just about any model from the 1860s on up to 1863 or 62 since, I think the Union destroyed the railroad infrastructure by then, once Sherman marched through Alabama and on up through Virginia the supply lines of the South were so utterly ruined or destroyed they weren't able to build them back up again.

T

tag

Hello NBForrest

please post pictures as you go along as I have started doing a Mortar truck already made the mortar and carridge well on the way for a garden railway probably going on a Bachman waggon its not for any paticular railway just to look the part got the idea fome the Buster Keton film 'The General'

Good luck with the project

R

rkapuaala

Ed,

Here is an image of one of the Engines from Georgia.

Its called the Chase, and it was stolen by Union Troops in the summer of 62.

As you can see it is a 4-4-0.

You could probably do a pretty convincing bash from a hartford model.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy ED,

First of all, welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here. As you can see from my personal info on the left of the screen, I am from "the South". Now i am not a train person myself, but, I am a modeler and one of the hobby shops visit near my hometown has models as well as model railroad supplies (ie...ho, N, and other scale locomotives and boxcars etc along with scenery for layouts etc).

The name of the hobby store was "HobbyShack" until recently when the owner was informed by certified mail that the name had been copyrighted way back in the 1970's.....so he recently changed the name of the business to "Rail and Sprue hobbies".

The reason i am telling you all of this is because he carries one of the largest selections of scale model railroading equipment in the state of Arkansas. You can still find him listed in google as hobby shack (although that listing may disappear at anytime) but here is his contact information

Rail and Sprue hobbies (formerly Hobbyshack)

1200 John Harden

Jacksonville, AR 72076

United States

telephone: 1+501 982 6836 (ask for Daryll, the owner)

Now what could be the largest supplier of model railroading equipment in my state is a hooby store called " Arkansas Traveller Hobbies". They used to be located in my home town but relocated to the northern part of my state a few years back, I can honestly say that I have never seen so many things related to model railroading in my entire life anyplace other than at this hobby shop.

You can visit their website here:

Arkansas Traveler Hobbies

and their contact information is as follows:

400 East Market Street, Bald Knob, AR 72010 Phone: 1+(501) RAILFAN (724-5326) Fax: 1+(501) RAILS4U (724-5748) eMail: info@arkansastravelerhobbies.com

Note: I just realized their website is "under construction" but i am sure that if you emailed them with details of what you might be interested in, either one of these two hobbyshops could help you alot. Here in the south, we are proud of our heritage and there are alot of railroad enthusiast here in my state, I am sure you can find what you need from either of these two places.

have a good day and again, welcome to the forum :smiling3:

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

G

Gaz

Hi NB, just a quick comment on your scales, HO and OO are 1/76 and 1/87. 25mm is about 1/65th.

For HO/OO trains 20mm figures (1/81st) would be a better scale "fit".

I notice that you mentioned it was for wargaming so scale may not be THAT important to you, but thought I'd post anyway.

Cheer's,

Gaz...