Confused by the plethora of airbrush types. What do I need?

T

Tombstone

I'm just getting back into building model aircraft after best part of two decades of inactivity - job, pre-school kids, you know the score! I decided to start off with an aerosol can primer and now find myself needing, wanting, a full fledged airbrush for the 'real' paint.

Pretty much decided on a compressor - the AS189 - but I need advice on the airbrush itself.

The kits I'm making range from small - 1/72 Bell X-1, about 4" length - to quite large - 1/72 XB-70 and XB-35, both a couple of square feet in area. I'm also shortly to start other 'unusual' aircraft of medium size such as the Avro Canada CF-105, BAC TSR-2 and Fairey Rotodyne. A feature of these aircraft is that most involve painting large areas a single colour, as is the case with many prototype designs, as well as small areas of greater detail and colour variation.

The brush I've been looking at is a Spraymaster ABR1005, or similar, which quote a spray pattern about 1 1/2 inches across.

Is this enough for painting 'large' expanses of wing in the same colour, as well as finer detail. I just don't know whether 1 1/2 inches is considered 'normal' for this sort of job, or whether I need to consider a spray gun rather than airbrush. Would the compressor I'm keen on be suitable for a spray gun? I can't afford to buy a room full of kit, just an airbrush, perhaps a spray gun, and one compressor.

Gravity feed? Suction feed? Internal mix? External mix? Single action? Dual action? Not really sure what would suit my needs.

I intend to work with acrylic paints - I just prefer working with them - both from Tamiya and Revell.

Any advice would be most welcome. My local model shop has been of little help thus far, and in any case does not stock an extensive range of airbrush products.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
The AS189 is a good compressor I don't know if you have already seen it but I did a review on it if you read that there is a code for 10% off

I also reviewed the Iwata revoloution cr http://www.scale-models.co.uk/product-reviews/9230-review-iwata-revolution-cr-airbrush.html very nice AB the main benifits of a gravity feed AB is you use less paint. You do seem to get what you pay for so it's worth paying for a good make like Iwata, Badger or Harder & Stienbeck (I think it spelt like that I'm on my iPhone so can't go check) you will also find the branded AB will work better at lower pressures. And dual action you will have much better control over the spray

F

Fenlander

I would go with what John said but also you don't need a 'spray gun' to cover those large areas. One of the techniques of using an airbrush is to lightly spray over the area, often called 'dusting a coat on'. This is repeated as you gradually build up thin layers of paint. I would personally get a dual action gravity feed. OK, the paint pot does not appear to hold much but you will be surprised what area that will cover.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I agree,go for a name brand,gravity feed dual action brush as John suggests. You will be surprised how easy they are to master. I build mainly 1/32 aircraft which can be quite large and have no difficulty in covering them with my Iwata brushes with nozzle sizes from 0.35 to 0.5 mm. You have to work it up as Graham says rather than making one dramatic pass! They are also good for detail work. If you do a lot of larger models you might want a bigger paint cup on your brush,have a look online,very often two "different" models are the same brush with a different sized cup.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Steve

R

RM4U

Hi,

I would go for an Iwata Revolution TR1 which has 0.3mm nozzle and needle, but can be converted to a TR2 with 0.5mm parts or a TR0 with 0.2mm parts. The TR has a trigger rather than a plunger and includes a pistol grip water trap. It has side mounted L/R colour cups and can be fitted with 1 or 2 oz bottles.

The compressor you are looking to get is very good and will drive 90% of airbrushes and a few min spray guns like the RG3.

Regards,

Leslie.

T

Tombstone

Thank you all for your helpful and informative replies.

I've just ordered the '189 compressor, Revolution CR airbrush and hose, with the scalemodels 10% discount code.

I did consider a TR1, but at the moment I can't justify the premium over the CR.

R

Richy C

Hi Tombstone , welcome to the forum , after Johns review I also got the Iwata CR not long ago which is great to use much better than the spraymaster I had before , remember you also have the option to buy the 0.3 nozzle kit from the same company that fits the CR for less than £30 with the discounts they give you ,

Richy

N

noble

I would go online and look at the web site Everythingairbrush they have pictures of the brushes as well as reviews also if you call them they are very helpful and will supply everything you will need. I got a pair of AB130 brushes a hose and a compressor all for just less than £100.00, the brushes are duel action Gravity feed which i recomend they were not the very expensive but they are still serving me well with regular easy maintenance.

I hope this is helpful.

scott

A

AVB99

For what it's worth, I agree with the post about Everythingairbrush - superb products and really good telephone support. Good deals on E-bay Buy it now too!