Considering a course...

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks for that.

My present brush is dual action and I can see the benefits.

I have have a look at the gravity feed brushes on the site that sourced my existing set-up, they look good value and it seems there are four types:

Side fed with a 7cc cup and a 0.3mm nozzle, the same size as the present one.

Top feeding, also 7cc and 0.3mm

Top fed, 2cc cup and 0.2mm nozzle - I like the look of this one but concerned about the very small cup

Top fed, 9cc cup and 0.25mm nozzle - this costs a little more than the others (though still not bad) and is the one I am inclined towards.

Any views on the above?

T

tecdes

Had the same thoughts Barry when I bought my present airbrush.

I bought the Evolution Harder & Steinbeck. This comes with two cups. I use the smaller one mostly.

Also you can fit nozzle & needles of .15 .2 .4 & .6. From my view point a top cup is the neatest arrangement & does not get in the way of seeing the subject to be painted especially when using the smaller cup. Only use the smaller cup & have not even for brushing a 1/72 Lancaster filled it more than a third full.

This airbrush also has a control on the end which adjusts the amount the needle can be moved & restricting the amount of paint released. This also has a press button arrangement which will put the restrictor into the last position used.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another factor that often gets over looked is comfort. I have An anthem and a Cresendo, both from Badger and both very good air brushes. However, these spend a lot of time in the draw and I use two cheapish Sparmax airbrushes. They spray every bit as good as the badgers at twice the price but that is not the reason I use them. I am just more comfortable with them. Small, narrow light and easy to clean. So dont feel that you have to have the dearest to get the best result.

With time and practise you will get there. You can go to seminars, read books and watch videos until the cows come home but in the end the only way to learn it is to grab hold and get on with it. When you hit a problem, then grab the book and find out what the root of the problem is.

Ian M

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Having read the above, watching and rewatching the Flory videos and playing around more with my existing (cheap) syphon airbrush (about £20!") I am nearly ready to make a decision.

To get a H&S Evolution Silverline fPc 2 in 1.

My reasoning for this particular brush is that I have a preference for large scale 1:32 aircraft (first project will be the Revell JU88 soon...)

So the interchangeable nozzles will be useful, the 0.15 for detail and the 0.4 for wider areas while keeping the existing AB for really big areas and jobs like varnishing.

I also like the two cup sizes and the ease of colour changes with gravity feed as demonstrated in the videos.

I also like the paint limiter, that is a feature on my existing brush that I am learning to appreciate.

I am also finding that the air pressure on my 186 compressor is not easy to adjust so I am thinking that I might leave it on 30psi all the time reducing the pressure when needed via the valve on the brush.

Is my thinking sound?

£159 is a lot of outlay for me given the amount I have already spent over the last few weeks on workbench/tools etc to get back into the hobby, approx £600, with a bit more to spend as well, but I suspect it will be worth it in the long run.

T

tecdes

The only thing that I would mention Barry is that it sounds a good idea to have the pressure adjustment on the brush for someone who is airbrushing day in day out & can judge. But for my intermittent use I would rather rely on the pressure gauge on the compressor. Not saying do not buy the brush without the pressure adjustment.

From my short experience I hardly ever adjust the pressure.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Laurie. I am just going by what I have seen in the Flory videos for that and I find adjusting the pressure on the compressor a bit hit and miss. The extra cost over and above the basic 2 in 1 is fairly small on the scale of things but would be a lot higher if I decided to add it later.

Also thinking of moving over to Vallejo Model Air when it comes to airbrush painting. I have already stocked up on Humbrol because I am familiar with them but I think I will just use these for brushwork until I run out.