D I Y airbrush cleaing station , any tips?

P

premacy10

Hi all,

I have been bought a cleaning station for xmas but have a few free days til then and want to paint, wife concearned by spray of cleaner , just wondered any tips jamjars , cloth etc.

Regards

Tony

F

Fenlander

get a big jar with a plastic screw on lid. Drill hole in lid so that AB front end goes in and seals hole. Drill a a couple of smallish holes near to far edge from main hole, to act as exhaust vent. Under the lid, on the inside, cover the exhaust holes with something that will allow the air through under pressure but hold back the liquid spray. A fabric band aid would do or fix a pad of kitchen towel under the holes, on the inside of the lid, using tape or PVA. Just ensure that nothing covers it where the holes are. Then three quarters fill the jar with loosely scrunched up kitchen towel and screw on the lid. Bob's your uncle as they say. Stick the AB into the main hole so that it seals it off and blast away.

D

dm73

Great tip young Graham, i'm off to raid the other halfs cupboards and see what i can cannibalize.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've got a cleaning station but don't use it that much, I just use some kitchen towel and spray in to that, if you spray back by putting your finger over the end and spray, that will blow most of the paint back out of the cup

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm with John on this, I to have a cleaning station, but rarely use it. Its either a kitchen paper wad or some times a cardboard roll with some kitchen roll previously used to dry a brush or wipe out the Airbrush with. As for flushing out with water, that just gets sprayed out under the desk. Don't tell the misses!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

I use my cleaning pot all the time, I really do think that when I used to spray in the kitchen, most of the 'smelly stuff' was in the cleaning not the painting. I do remember at the time when I started to use a cleaning pot, even the boss noticed a difference. I still put wads of kitchen paper inside the pot to keep it as dry as possible but I use it that much, it does look a little like a nuclear dump in a sci-fi film lol. I have cleaned the pot out about three times since buying it at the Peterborough show early 2010 and it really is a grotty clean up job. My point is that it does not generate the grot so without it, all that grot would have been put in the air and surroundings. That is enough for me and i will always use it.