Daimler Armoured Car Mk.I - 1/72 - IBG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds to me my easiest option for a Mk1 in SSC2 (which I want for variety) is to take the census number from the SOD kit (which I have) and use it, then build the SOD as the box art example without a census number.

Funny really, these are going to be gaming pieces, so I usually wouldn’t worry too much about being dead on accurate. However, the subject of this GB is quite important so I want to get it a bit more right than usual…..

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Sounds to me my easiest option for a Mk1 in SSC2 (which I want for variety) is to take the census number from the SOD kit (which I have) and use it, then build the SOD as the box art example without a census number.

Funny really, these are going to be gaming pieces, so I usually wouldn’t worry too much about being dead on accurate. However, the subject of this GB is quite important so I want to get it a bit more right than usual…..
Then you definitely have a vehicle that actually drove at the IoCs.
Another option would be to create your own WD number.
The number blocks of the DAC Mk.I that were most likely delivered in SCC2 are:
F20057 - 20418
F117215 - 117714
F207288 - 207718
Probably some of the earlier and later vehicles too. But I broke the numbers down to the respective annual production, and these should roughly be the vehicles manufactured between 1942 and the beginning of 1944.

Best regards,
Andi

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey that is small!! Very interesting thread Andi,I look forward to watching the rest of the build :thumb2:.
Andy,
(Squeezed in on the end of the front row,Pasty in hand :tongue-out:).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Then you definitely have a vehicle that actually drove at the IoCs.
Another option would be to create your own WD number.
The number blocks of the DAC Mk.I that were most likely delivered in SCC2 are:
F20057 - 20418
F117215 - 117714
F207288 - 207718
Probably some of the earlier and later vehicles too. But I broke the numbers down to the respective annual production, and these should roughly be the vehicles manufactured between 1942 and the beginning of 1944.

Best regards,
Andi
Cheers Andi, excellent info for me to run with :thumb2:

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
WOW! A huge amount of info going on here and I've no clue as to what you're all talking about lol! (which isn't saying much tbh).

I'm sure a cracking little build will appear from it all though.

Those 3D printed parts do look nice, they remind me of the upgrade bits I picked up for my little Airfix Scammell Transporter if and when I get around to it.

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Blimey that is small!! Very interesting thread Andi,I look forward to watching the rest of the build :thumb2:.
Andy,
(Squeezed in on the end of the front row,Pasty in hand :tongue-out:).
Chair pulled up next to Scottie, well he has the biscuits and you have the class build....
Where did you get all this food from? And don't throw crumbs all over again! :tears-of-joy:

Thank you guys, you're great! :smiling5:

Here is a short situation report of my DACs.
For the IBG model, I have only finished the wheel suspension so far.
Otherwise, I have studied the real photos of my two vehicles and worked out which vehicle had which special features.
For "Sheila" I will use my 3D print because "she" had all the usual equipment on board - and these were already modeled in the 3D print.
The "Gunnery school vehicle", on the other hand, is almost "naked", and this is easier to depict with the IBG kit because most of the details have to be glued on separately.
In addition, "Sheila" gets the double Vickers MG and the side brackets from the IBG kit.
I have cleaned up the 3D print. I have also drilled out the small headlight on the turret and turned it to the side, as can be seen in the photos of the vehicle with Churchill. I have also shortened the exhaust.
I have to check everything again to make sure I have not overlooked anything, but basically it should be almost ready to be painted.
IMG_20240601_181443.jpg

Best regards,
Andreas

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Hello,
Unfortunately I don't have much time for model building at the moment. But I did continue for a little bit, so here's an update.
I concentrated on finishing one vehicle first before I move on to the second.
I have all the parts for "Sheila" so far. Since the original vehicle had a small ladder to help climb it when it was used as Churchill's taxi, I thought it would be a nice idea to show that on the model too.
I also primed all the components with SCC15, added a few highlights and painted the details with a brush. Then I applied a coat of gloss varnish.
Next I will apply the decals.
Best wishes,
Andreas

DAC1.jpg
DAC2.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wondered where these had got to…..looking good Andi. Ladder is a nice touch. Interestingly, in that picture the star and vehicle number look freshly painted and darker than the rest of the vehicle….

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Wondered where these had got to…..looking good Andi. Ladder is a nice touch. Interestingly, in that picture the star and vehicle number look freshly painted and darker than the rest of the vehicle….
Maybe they washed the vehicle specially or repainted the markings?
In any case, the stars in the photos are a bit pointed and not entirely symmetrical - and IBG has implemented this excellently with its decals.
Very nice Andreas. Theladder is a good touch.
Looks great Andreas.
Thank you so much guys.

The decals are done. The gloss paint makes the vehicle look very dark - or it's because I'm a terrible photographer! :smiling5:

IMG_20240614_163800.jpg
IMG_20240614_163806.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks very good. Gloss varnish does darken the finish in my experience. Weirdly the following matt varnish lightens it again.