Dave Ward's 1/72 Matchbox Heyford

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a lot of ummimg & aaahing, I've decided to do this for the GB
heyford.JPG
I think it's been in my possesion for over 20 years, and the box reflects that span of time.
I'm NOT going to put up the sprue shots etc - I did an inbox review of this last year, and they can be found here https://www.scale-models.co.uk/thre...-page-heyford-inbox-review.38838/#post-602291
I've never attempted this model before - it's a bit basic, but the aircraft itself was pretty simple - fabric covered, so no rivetting! All I have to do is find out what is the nearest equivalent of NIVO!
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great choice Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I'm sure I built it 1st time around, when I was but a lad.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Certainly one of the most unusual configuration aircraft to have been used by the RAF! Used as trials aircraft during the development of RDF ( radar ). Some even survived until 1941 as target tugs.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Dave after 20 years the poor thing deserves to be built. It will be interesting to see what you make of it.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
View attachment 498367
I think it's been in my possesion for over 20 years, and the box reflects that span of time.
I'm NOT going to put up the sprue shots etc - I did an inbox review of this last year, and they can be found here https://www.scale-models.co.uk/thre...-page-heyford-inbox-review.38838/#post-602291
I've never attempted this model before - it's a bit basic, but the aircraft itself was pretty simple - fabric covered, so no rivetting! All I have to do is find out what is the nearest equivalent of NIVO!
Dave
Looks a superb subject Dave :smiling3:
... Not my scale, but considering the size of these things in reality,I suspect my favoured 1/48 would make it impractical for my cabinet though!!
Looking forward to seeing you tackle it ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very different Dave. Don't think I have ever seen a WIP on one of these. These aren't cheap now on Fleabay.

ATB

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
View attachment 498367
Dave
Colourcoats have a NIVO in their range, and so do Xtracrylic at Hannants.
Pete

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK, I'll ask. NIVO?

I know I'm going to kick myself for asking!!!
In the chat thread

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
In the chat thread

I knew I would have to kick myself. Thank you Dave. :thumb2:

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have always wanted to build one of these rather eccentric aircraft and had thought the next best thing would be to tag along and watch Dave's build. However, it is my birthday today and I have just treated myself by buying my own! I'll let Dave blaze the trail first before I start mine, though.

Dave

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I do like the Heyford, and the Matchbox kit is rather splendid. Not much of an interior in the kit, but what would you expect for the mid-'seventies

Hmm, what excuse could I give to build another one? Convert to a Mk.IV?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Started with the minor assemblies - tailplane & engines nacelles
DSCF4770.JPG
The wings for the Heyford are double skin, so I'm intending to complete the rigging before closing the wings up, leaving little or no clean up ( tempting fate ). I ve drilled a series of 0.4mm holes. to take the rigging. I congratulated myself for drilling 30 odd holes & not breaking the drill, then promptly dropped the hand pin chuck & did just that! Just as well I laid in a box of spares.
DSCF4771.JPG
I've decided that the NIVO will be represented by AK3 Dark Slate Grey, just a case of what varnish to seal it all in with - I thought matt, but I've read that NIVO reflected searchlights strongly - one of the reasons for phasing it out in the late 30s, so it'll have to be more of a satin.............
Dave

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
View attachment 498367
Dave
Very nice choice Dave

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cracking choice Dave.
Love the look of the Heyford - straight out of ‘Catch the Pigeon’! (Maybe someone remembers that show)
Anyway, it is a fabulous looking machine and I look forward to the build.

Good luck
Paul

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Cracking choice Dave.
Love the look of the Heyford - straight out of ‘Catch the Pigeon’! (Maybe someone remembers that show)
Anyway, it is a fabulous looking machine and I look forward to the build.

Good luck
Paul
"Do something Muttely....medal medal medal." I remember the show alright.

The Heyfords going to look great Dave, great choice of an ugly beast.

Cheers,
Wabble