Dave Ward's Revell/ICM 1/48 Beech C-45F Expeditor

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Seams attended to, and I've just primed the two parts - I'm using Stynylrez Black Primer for the first time ( what a lousy name ), and I must say, I'm impressed, sprayed nicely, covered well, and cleaned up easily from the a/b. Scale Model Shop have a load of different colours * stynylrez * worth a lookfuselage primed.jpgwings primed.jpg
Next, I have Olive Drab anti-glare panels on the nose, and inner engine cowls. I'm going to hand paint these, before masking up for those yellow cowls..................
Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking good Dave. Can I ask what you used to clean your A/B after using Stynylrez? I've tried it and it's an excellent primer but I've had nightmares getting my A/B clean afterwards.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
Errrr - I just use tap water. Flush through the cup, pull the needle back, remove & clean the nozzle cap, reassemble, and blow through with a water + a few drops of washing up liquid. That's it.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Just had a catch-up. It looks to be a nice kit even with the iffy instructions. Fine, neat job you're doing. I am another who likes the Stynylrez primer.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
First pass at the metal fuselage, the anti-glare panel, and the de-icer boots on the tail surfaces are masked...........silver 01.jpg
I'm using Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium, misted on, I'll need a few coats, before sealing it all with gloss varnish.
I hand painted the Olive Drab anti-glare panels, then masked all up to spray the yellow on the cowlingsyellow 01.jpg
In retrospect, I should have primed the cowls with a neutral grey, as spraying yellow over black is not good, I'm going to need several passes at this before I get good coverage. I'm using AK RLM 04 Yellow, as I thought it may give better coverage than my Vallejo yellow!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Spraying yellow over just about anything is asking for coverage trouble, really :sad: I usually begin with a white primer, then the yellow, and mask it off before painting the rest of the model. It’s really the only way to get a good, solid yellow that I’ve found.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My experience is that four or five coats tend to cover reasonably adequately … but it might just be easier to mask off the rest of the model, spray some white primer over the yellow, and then apply one coat of yellow paint over that.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've given the yellow a brush coat of Vallejo Model Color RLM 04, and although not perfect, another coat should finish it. I've removed the masking from the fuselage - a slight bleed under of aluminium over the olive drab, but a bit of a touch up has covered this. I'll have to add the glazing to the fuselage, then a gloss coat over all.
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive found that too dave , the vallejo metal colors and modelair metallics are prone to finding their way under the edge of masking , i had the same problem on the Morava with the silver on the wings seeping onto the white of the fuselage and nacelles. Maybe these paints have a slightly different formulation that softens the masking tape glue a little? Or is it just that theyre more thinned than normal , cheers tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Masking removed from the cowlings. Probably due to the number of coats of yellow, some bleeding has occurred.
yellow cowls.jpg
Next, I'll have to mask off the cowls, and the de-icer boots on the wing, the I'll be able to get the wing sprayed aluminium.
I've added the fuselage windows - there are 3 remaining cockpit glazing bits, that I'm painting the frames before adding to the model.side widows.jpg
Not far off final assembly, it will all come together quickly
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That yellow has come out alright, and at least painting some green over it shouldn’t be any problem :smiling3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Yellow is a so and so, I remember from my Warhammer 40k days.
The citadel paint had terrible coverage so I used to prime every thing in white!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
All yellow has terrible coverage, even worse than red. It doesn’t really depend on which paint you use (though some are better than others) because it’s inherent to the colour/pigments. Priming in white, or some better-covering colour close to what you actually want, like sand, is the best way to get it to cover OK, if you ask me.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I masked the wings - using Tamiya masking film, and gave the wings a couple of misted coats of aluminium. Then, always a tense moment, the masks were removed....................wing underside .jpgwing topside.jpg
Not bad - no bleeding, I was very careful to press down the mask edges.
The cockpit is glazed - these were a tight fit, and once they had eventually clicked into place, I decided to leave well alone - I'll have to deal with the gaps & retouch the paint, especially the glare panel shortfall, but generally OKcockpit glazed.jpg
I don't know how I fouled that up - the other side is OK. I have the instrument panel to fit, and then I can think about uniting the 2 assemblies
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Parts finally united. Glue, of any sort removes the aluminium paint, so more touch up required. I should have given an overall gloss varnish before joining!joined 01.jpgjoined 02.jpg
After attending to the seams, I will have to gloss coat over all, before beginning the decal application. This is proving to be a challenging build, but I think will be worth it!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I must say I like the looks of the plane in that metal finish.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Metal finishes look good, but they show up every flaw, and seem to mark very easily - I'll be glad when I can get a protective varnish coat over everything!
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking lovely now dave , its got very classic lines hasnt it? Cheers tony