Dave Ward's Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito PR Mk. IV

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cor! you got camera's in your one. Cool. I have built this kit as well and it builds up great. AND the wings fit. (which is more than I can say for the one I'm into at the moment. lol

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ian,
sadly the cameras are largely invisible, unless you open the bomb bay - and I think that PR Mossies had extra fuel tanks there, so that's a non-starter.......
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think actually that the mk IV Just used the wing tanks when they where on a longer sorte. Just had a look in the book I have... :smiling: So you could get away with it if you wanted to.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off, and running - a mere 12 parts, and the wings are well under wayP1060549.JPG
Hmm, needs a little bit of attention to the engine nacelle seams. The nacelles will be fitted, after the roof of the wheel well is painted interior green, and the nacelle walls aluminium.
I've had a look at various photos on the internet, and it seems the PR IV was fitted with exhaust shrouds, so I'll have to bear that in mind...............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After painting, the wings/engine nacelles assembled - they just click together, and TET run into the joins to fix.
P1060552.JPG

Tamiya would have you build the complete undercarriage into the wings at this stage - sounds like a recipe for later damage to me.
The cockpit interior is started, the bomb bay roof, and wing spars assembledP1060551.JPG
Not going to see this, as the bomb bay doors will be closed.
The pilots instrument panel is assembled, and the dials filed off, ready for the Eduard PE bits
P1060550.JPG

There are numerous small boxes that need to be prepared for PE fronts ( electrical, radio etc ), time consuming & fiddly.
Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The legs go in quite easy if I recall. And its a lot easier than installing them then painting as in the Airfix kit I did a short while back.
The pre-painted PE looks good. Do they still have that odd texture to the finish?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Instrument panel has the PE added....................P1060553.JPG
Texture seems normal to me

More cockpit bits assembled & basecoated - detail painting, and washes to make it look 'lived in'
P1060554.JPG

And the two residents all primed upP1060555.JPG
Lots of fine brushwork tomorrow, I think
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a day away from the bench, cockpit area PE added, detail painted, and a black-green washP1060569.JPGP1060570.JPGP1060571.JPG

I realise I can't go any further towards assembling the fuselage, until I finish painting the pilot & navigator - it may be possible to fit the navigator, but I don't think the pilot will fit with the halves assembled.
Whilst waiting for the figure painting to dry, the undercarriage will be the next assembly
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Undercarriage assembled & painted - I'll give it a wash when finally assembled in the wingsP1060574.JPG

The propellers assembled - I wanted to see how the the spinners looked, when hand painted. - I'm using Humbrol Acrylic 230, PRU Blue - the first time I've used this. It brush paints really well - I'll soon find out whether it airbrushes as well!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK, I'm ready to close the fuselage up - I could spend days tinkering, painting the crew, but it's time to call a halt & get on with the assembly proper. Undercarriage washed............... P1060588.jpg

Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, fuselage closed, taped & allowed to dry P1060590.JPG

Wings and tail added - 5 mins work, just placed together & TET tun along the joints.
Coming together quickly now
Dave

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great work Dave love this plane

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a few days on the Kfir, back to the Mossie. A few minor parts added, clear bits masked, wheel wells plugged and all over primed.
P1060595.JPG

No demarcation lines to mask, so next will be an overall coat of PRU Blue.............
Dave