DaveCov's HobbyBoss 1/72 Lavochkin La-7 (80236)

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks to Karl and Andrew for hosting this group build.

I my choice of kit for this GB is the HobbyBoss 1/72 Lavochkin La-7 (80236), one of the range of "Easy Kits" from HobbyBoss:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_001.JPG

The rear of the box shows four sections, A - Layout of parts, B - Painting and Decalling profiles for two machines ("White 27 & White 23"), C - Assembly Instructions Section 1, D - Assembly Instructions Section 2:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_002.JPG

The parts are moulded in a light grey plastic and there is a one-piece cockpit transparency:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_003.JPG

Decals are well printed and in register. There is a spindle for the propeller and like many "Easy Kits", the wings and lower fuselage come as one piece with the upper fuselage separate:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_004.JPG

First job was to remove all parts from the runners and put aside the optional parts:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_005.JPG

Parts have been cleaned up. I have put labels on the tailplanes to show which is port and which is starboard:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_006.JPG

I have glued the radiator to the underside and put the basic floor and seat on the fuselage. There are five large pins on the lower fuselage, only three of which are needed, so I cut them down. Eventually, I would remove the middle pin too as it made closing the fuselage impossible. The kit has two engine covers for two and three cannon installations. Annoyingly, it doesn't say which kit version should have which engine cover. In fact, the profile shows the three cannon version on both. I am building ("White 23"), and am assuming that it does have three cannons above the engine - purely because the original "White 27" is in a Moscow museum and has two cannons. The appropriate engine cover was glued in place but unfortunately, the fit was not very good:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_007.JPG

The interior of the cowling, fuselage and wheel bays were painted with H31 Matt Slate Grey:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_008.JPG

View of the cockpit area:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_009.JPG

The seat was painted and the upper fuselage attached to the lower. The cowling was fitted and a lot of filler was needed around it and along the fuselage joins which are not very good and will be impossible to make good. The spinner was glued to the propeller boss but the fit was not very good and was not symmetrical, so a lot of filler has been applied:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_010.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Good start Dave :thumb2:

Shame you have had some fit issues, you would expect it to be a bit better for a easy/starter type kit :thinking:

Geoff.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Glad to see you've been able to make a start Dave. Hope the RA is not playing up too much.

That's a real shame about the fit, as I've heard nothing but bid good about the easy assembly kits.

ATB.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Dave,
A real shame about the problems that you've encountered with this one, I'm surprised as my dealings with the "Easy Assembly" range have been very good.... although I've only done/have 1:48th planes:thinking:,
I'm sure you'll make a good job of it though :thumb2:.

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks everybody. :thumb2:

I must admit to being surprised by the bad fit on this one. I have made about a dozen of these "Easy Kits" over the past fifteen years and this is the first one that I have encountered such problems. Never mind, I will soon have it knocked into shape(-ish).

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks everybody. :thumb2:

It's been a week since my update but some progress has been made.

The filler has been sanded smooth and painting of the cockpit finished. Propeller blades have been painted too:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_011.JPG

Tailplanes were glued in place and the canopy, after masking, has been fitted:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_012.JPG

This will be another brush-painted model, starting with an overall coat of H126 Satin US Medium Grey. It will get one more coat:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_013.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very nice Dave! Thanks for the update!

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Latest update.

A second coat of H126 Satin US Medium Grey was applied on the top and I applied two coats of H166 Satin Light Aircraft Grey to the underside:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_014.JPG

I then put on a first coat of contrasting camouflage using H164 Satin Dark Sea Grey:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_015.JPG

That was followed by a second coat:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_016.JPG

I then masked off the cowling and painted a coat of H34 Matt Gloss White as a base for a red top coat:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_017.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Geoff :thumb2:

Latest update.

After painting the cowling with H19 Gloss Bright Red, I masked off the two metal bands that go around the cowling:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_018.JPG

Having painted the two bands with H56 Aluminium, I masked off the two panels behind the exhausts and painted them H53 Gunmetal:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_019.JPG

Since taking this photo, I have applied soot weathering on the gunmetal panels. I am now ready to apply a gloss finish prior to decalling:
HobbyBoss_Lavochkin_La7_72_2023_SM_GB_020.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done Dave. That's turned out vey nicely indeed.

I can't help thinking that a lot of these Russian fighter's had very similar lines when looked at from some angles!

Thanks for taking part!!!!

Andrew