Decals conforming to detail

First Name
Dave
I'm looking to start my millennium falcon build there are lots of different coloured panel decals and I am deciding whether to mask and paint or use the decals the problem is there is raised detail how well will a product like micro sol/set help the decals conform? 

Dave

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Microsol/set will definitely help.

Much will depend on the decals themselves and the depth of the raised detail,  we all now some companies decals are much more difficult to get to conform over raised detail than others.  If you have any spare decals you could do a trial run or try on an area with less raised detail.

My personal preference would be to mask and spray if the masking is not too difficult.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
All decals can react in a different way.

One thing to be beware of - when micro-sol is applied and is working on the decal, the decals wrinkle up and look terrible.  That is normal and its important not to touch the decal, grit your teeth and avoid the temptation....   It will all work out and a few hours later the decal will conform beautifully to the surface.  If the decal does not wrinkle you may need more coats of micro-sol, but still do not touch it until it has dried, as it will still be very fragile. 

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If the markings can be masked and sprayed then that's what I'd do. The result is always better.

As the others have said, decals vary a lot, some hardly need setting solutions and some are almost impervious to them. The only way to know how yours will react is to test one.

Cheers

Steve