Decals On Ridged Surfaces? Fixing Torn Decals?

A

AceAndroid

I'm back with another newbie question! I just tried putting on decals for the first time, on my S.E.5a. I'm following the info in the latter part of

. I used water instead of a setting solution because the tutorial mentioned there is no real difference in performance of the two.
Anyway, the decals on the fuselage look pretty good, but I cannot get the RAF insignia on the wings to lay flat and the decals keep tearing. Here is what it looks like right now:

4BhFx7r.jpg

The wings have ridges on them as part of the kit, and the instructions show the decals going on right where I placed them. How are they supposed to stick? Is there something special one needs to do to place decals on bumpy surfaces?

Thankfully, the kit came with enough decals for two planes, so I can scrape off the sad remains of my sorry first attempt if need be. Does anyone know how I can fix these decals, or how I can properly apply them over the ridges if I try again?

Thanks!

First Name
Jimbob
Hi I would always start with a glossy surface I would then use Microsoft softening solution this helps the transfer conform to the shape underneath, I would then mop up any excess with a cotton bud rolled over the transfer. This technique has allowed me to apply transfers over a good few awkward places.

P

Plastickitbasher

Lots of Micro sol and maybe use a hair dryer on the lowest setting might help to get the decal to conform to the wing, as for the holes in the decal I would try to make them look like bullet holes.

This what you need

MICROSCALE SOL

Hope that helps

D

dubster72

A product such as Microsol, which is a decal softener is very helpful in making decals conform to irregular surfaces.

See how it's made the decal bed down over the zimmerit on my Tiger

IMG_20160114_074921.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I agree that a setting solution will help settle the decals, though they look to be quite thick to start with.

You can't really repair a torn decal, but you can mix a paint to match the colour of the decal and fill in any holes. It's tricky but can be done.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I'd microsol that and leave it to dry , the holes could be made to look like wear and tear by adding either a wash or a dry brush of dirt colour like an earth brown

A

AceAndroid

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

dubster, thanks for the photo. It's nice to see what decals should look like! :smiling3:

S

Stevekir

How about sticking down the flap of blue, using ordinary school glue (the type used to paste paper to paper). Once the final varnish goes on it would be safe from handling.

A

AceAndroid

Ooh, I might try that, Stevekir!

In other decal-related news, yet another tragedy has befallen my dear SE5a. I tried covering the "good" decals on the fuselage with brush-on varnish and now that I have done so, there are air bubbles forming under the decals and they are peeling off (despite the varnish). They were fine before the varnish was applied. Methinks some sort of force is trying to tell me I shouldn't get into modeling! Goodness gracious!

Has anyone else experienced decals peeling after varnish is applied? How can I avoid this without making some sort of sacrifice to the great plastic modeling gods? For those curious, I am using a Delta Creamcoat gloss water-base varnish.

A

AceAndroid

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to share a photo of how I fixed this issue. I followed the advice of some folks on this thread and glued the decal down, then weathered it to make it look like damage. I think it looks pretty good! Thanks so much for your help.

ecfFoxu.jpg

uBZvIR3.jpg

Last edited: