Decals...to gloss or not to gloss

First Name
Gary
So, I'm getting to the point where I'm going to be applying the decals on my Airfix 1/72 Spitfire. The plane already weighs twice what it should because of the filler I've used but I must say properly sanded and painted it hides all the gaps nicely. However I have read many things about applying decals and one I see a lot is a light gloss varnish to apply decals better and also handy for weathering. Then a coat with matt or satin varnish to finish. I prefer the matt but wondered about the gloss coat for applying decals.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi, here's a quote of Colin that I found very useful :thumb2: Cheers, Steven

Decals don't go to well on a matt surface, so most people normally apply some sort of gloss coat. It doesn't have to be mirror like finish, just something not matt. Then decals, followed by another gloss coat, then the wash if you are using one. If you don't gloss coat over your decals, the wash can highlight the edges of the decals, you don't want that. The finish below worked well, as you can see, it's actually far from a gloss finish.
View attachment 360957

First Name
Gary
That makes sense. A sealed surface will always allow better attachment of things like decals and then a spray over to seal it. Plenty of YouTube vids as well. I'll give it a go, thanks

D

Deleted member 5496

If you want to hide the transparent (sounds bizarre) part of the decal you need to have a gloss varnish
to apply the decal to.

If the decal is applied to matt light reflects back & the decal is not transparent.

Alternative for smaller decals is Daco Products Decal Setting STRONG. Apply the decal
let it dry then apply Decal Strong with a paint brush.

For larger decals same but gloss varnish first

It will appear as if nothing is happening. Go away fro 30 minutes & return. The decal
will be transparent plus the decal will have dropped into panel lines or taken up
contours on which the decal sits. Promise. Chuck the Micros in the bin.

Also a plus the Daco will seal your decal.

Laurie