Deciphering Tamiya paint instructions

First Name
Khairul
I'm gearing up to start building a Tamiya XV1000 and getting all the paints ready but I've hit a small snag. The instructions call for Maroon paint but do not list a Tamiya paint code. It also mentions using white but doesn't list that code either. The only thing I can think of is that it wants me to use their spray paints, namely TS-11 - Maroon and one of their whites (TS-26 - Pure White or TS-27 - Matt White).

Does this sound right to you guys? I just find it odd that they made the effort to give the paint codes for everything else except the body colour.

1660570318295.png

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Khairul,
If you look at page 8 of the instructions, under painting - It actually calls the 'maroon' Romanesque Crimson! ( What ever that is! ) I reckon Tamiya don't have a paint to correspond to this.
There don't seem to be many pictures of actual bikes ( loads of models ), but I did find this:
XV1000 .jpg
It looks almost like a metallic red, or pearl red! I reckon you're going to mix your own colour!
Dave

First Name
Khairul
Khairul,
If you look at page 8 of the instructions, under painting - It actually calls the 'maroon' Romanesque Crimson! ( What ever that is! ) I reckon Tamiya don't have a paint to correspond to this.
There don't seem to be many pictures of actual bikes ( loads of models ), but I did find this:
View attachment 460983
It looks almost like a metallic red, or pearl red! I reckon you're going to mix your own colour!
Dave
Thanks. Yeah, Googling told me that "Romanesque Crimson" is the Yamaha name for this colour. I was just wondering if there was a specific Tamiya paint they wanted us to use. If it was a combination of their spray paints I can't understand why they wouldn't put the paint codes in the manual.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If it is a Yamaha proprietary paint maybe to can buy a spray can of it or an equivalent from an automotive parts shop.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Apparently you can buy some on Amazon.
Sounds like the kind of thing hero boy would have as well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
There don't seem to be many pictures of actual bikes
That's 'cause they all get turned into cafe racers...Good engine gearbox and drive train real bad frame and geometry.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Apparently you can buy some on Amazon.
Sounds like the kind of thing hero boy would have as well.
I‘ve looked at Hiroboy Ian, and unfortunately they don’t have that colour.
Best bet if Khairul wants that particular colour is a Yamaha touch up rattle can.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Best bet if Khairul wants that particular colour is a Yamaha touch up rattle can.
I think that would probably be the best option anyway for a civilian car or bike: paints exactly matching the real colour tend to be easily available, so why not go for those instead of model paints?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's 'cause they all get turned into cafe racers...Good engine gearbox and drive train real bad frame and geometry.
Deleted...wrong machine.