Decisions, Decisions................

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Go with the froggy Dave ,somewhere on YouTube I watched a fella getting in one I think you were safer out side ,not sure but think the tank man sounds familiar ,if you can find him he gets inside loads of armour you get a diffrent perspective from inside. Dave

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Go with the froggy Dave ,somewhere on YouTube I watched a fella getting in one I think you were safer out side ,not sure but think the tank man sounds familiar ,if you can find him he gets inside loads of armour you get a diffrent perspective from inside. Dave
Being on the big side - 6' 1" & 15st in my rugby playing days & a bit claustrophobic, I couldn't cope with those cramped places! I could fit into the commanders area in the Challenger 2, but getting into the drivers' seat was impossible ( many years & many pints later ) - we were fitting an APU on one of the Challenger prototypes in Leeds at the time - interesting days
Dave

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Being on the big side - 6' 1" & 15st in my rugby playing days & a bit claustrophobic, I couldn't cope with those cramped places! I could fit into the commanders area in the Challenger 2, but getting into the drivers' seat was impossible ( many years & many pints later ) - we were fitting an APU on one of the Challenger prototypes in Leeds at the time - interesting days
Dave
I know how you feel getting in the challenger Im 6'1 i once tried to get in with the gun rear and got cramp half way in.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
No surprise, I'll be building the Renault UE Carrier. I think that some people enjoy watching others build tiny models!
Don't know when I'll start this, as I have another distraction arriving & have a long delayed trip to hospital at the beginning of next week...............
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No surprise, I'll be building the Renault UE Carrier. I think that some people enjoy watching others build tiny models!
Don't know when I'll start this, as I have another distraction arriving & have a long delayed trip to hospital at the beginning of next week...............
Dave
Tiny….to me it’s huge :tongue-out3:
Hope the hospital goes well…..

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yeah,same from me ...
.... Hope all goes well Dave :smiling3:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hope it all goes well at the hospital Dave, the ue looks an odd beast.
As for the Challenger, I thought it was cramped when I was a skinny 17 year old at the Barnbow factory in Leeds!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I can attest that a Challenger is fekin massive when it's on the road behind you and you're on a push bike........
WELL i had a good look at them when i was at boveinton on holl an yes they are whoppers as i think they were the new challengers as i watched while another one towed one an they were in sandy pink colour
chrisb

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
WELL i had a good look at them when i was at boveinton on holl an yes they are whoppers as i think they were the new challengers as i watched while another one towed one an they were in sand colour
chrisb
I lived on the garrison while my dad was Drill Sgt. at the JLR there, got to see lots of tanks.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As for the Challenger, I thought it was cramped when I was a skinny 17 year old at the Barnbow factory in Leeds!
What it looks like on the inside:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey!! Just watched that video,(cheers Jakko),that is one claustrophobic set up!!
Can't see me  EVER being ok with that, not even in my slender apprentice days!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Blimey!! Just watched that video,(cheers Jakko),that is one claustrophobic set up!!
Challenger 2 is apparently better, because the Mk. 1 is basically a Chieftain interior wrapped in a new armour setup — the Mk. 2 has more modern insides, giving a bit more room to the crew, IIRC. But to put it all in perspective, and relate it back to Dave’s build too, this one is worth a watch as well: