Desert Storm Sea Cobra

S

SmukY

Primary model kit: 1/72 Revell AH-1W Super Cobra

I've started with this project one week ago and so far it's going altogether without major difficulties. I think it will need some putty and sanding. The next step is some drybrushing and painting the details in the cockpit so the progress can be expected very soon. The model will probably be almost OOB, I just don't know yet if I will use the Revell's decals or the 'Hi-Decal Line' ones for Desert Storm Cobras. I also still don't know yet if it will be the gray or green/black/gray variant, but I'm leaning to the "coloured" one. What would be the nice choice? Yeah I know that depends all on me but I would still love to hear some opinions.

Dry fit test

Cockpit

J

James Q

I'll be keeping an eye on this, i'd go for the coloured version.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello Luka,

Nice to see a helicopter on the forum. I look forward to watching this one turn out.

Colin M..

V

Vajled

Pozdrav i dobrodošao :smiling3:

(Hello and welcome)

Nice start and nice choice

Roman

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi and welcome,

Like a Cobra, and looking forward to seeing this one.

Ian M

S

SmukY

Hey, thanks!

Well here is the progress. The best shot I've managed to get with my D70s and kit lenses 18-70mm. I also decided that the Cobra will be the coloured one (Green, black and gray).

049.jpg

Anyway I painted the details in cockpit (buttons, indicators on IP, cyclic, collective (I made it from the scratch, it's really annoying if the model kit producer forgets to add the goddamned (pardon my french) collective. I also added the belts on seats (tamiya mask tape painted with revell 9 and Alclad steel on the end does the trick)), some stickers at rear side of cockpit) and then I was playing with the drybrushing. First I used only the revell 76 for stressing out the edges and then I thought that I could try to make a dirty floor, because the chopper was operating mostly in desert areas in which were the FOBs too. You know, you get all sort of the dirt/sand on your trousers and shoes, then you board onto chopper, start up the engine and take off. Meanwhile the vibrations caused by rotor take care of the dirt on your shoes which then goes in every corner on the floor. :tongue: Anyway with the Revell 76 it went very good but when I was playing with the sand one (I think I used the Revell 89) it didn't turned out as I expected, but I gave my best shot. I have to say that the dirt on the pic is absolutely too prominenced. Well, I'm satisfied with a result. What do you think? :smiling3:

Last edited:
B

backonthecase

The dinky Cobra in 72nd scale, you're mad!!! Very nice work chap!

Stuart

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
instead of drybrushing the paints I guess you'd get better results using pigments or pastels. I'll get you some when I come to your neck of the woods, if nothing else for the final weathering stages - Cobras got dirty on the outside in the desert as well :smiling3: