Dewoitine D.520 (RS Models, 1:72)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work on that Jakko. That was not an easy paint job!

Very well done.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jakko
Looks great. A very eye-catching result. Interesting how the stripes were managed.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks all :smiling3: As I said in the build thread, the stripes weren’t as bad as I expected them to be. Not going to try my hand at one of those American planes with checkerboard markings next, though ;)

I have often wondered why they camouflaged aircraft only to paint the noses or tail fins bright yellow and other colours.
In this case it was to show everyone that this was a plane of a neutral country, Vichy France, so it wouldn’t get accidentally attacked by either side. A lot of the camouflage patterns were more intended to hide the plane on the ground than in the air (though it helped with the latter too, of course), and I suppose it was felt that some tarps would hide the bright bits quickly enough on the ground if it came to that?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job jakko , the colours look good to me , the green does seem a tad bright but perhaps its just that we’re more used to seeing olive drab , dark green ,4bo etc . Lovely build , cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, guys :smiling3: I’m not sure about the green either, it comes from a manufacturer who (AFAIK) gets colours reasonably right, but at the same time it looks rather bright to me. But having never seen the real thing in the flesh, it’s hard to say.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great build Jakko love the colour scheme.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely result Jakko, love the Vichy markings. A huge task in painting and masking but well worth it :cool:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks :smiling3: The only tricky part was the sides of the engine cowling, though. The tail and the upper cowling ate nice and flat, so easy to mask off. The stripes on the sides of the cowling converge towards the front, so they were harder to get right.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That is splendid Jackko. I was wondering about the camo' and bright colours as well, so thanks for explaining that one.