Divers CO2 Cylinder with Airbrush

P

Pete Mac

My new airbrush ( Iwata revolution) arrived today. Not having a compressor I am contemplating adapting my old diving CO/2 cylinder which will work out heck of a lot cheaper than air cans which I have been using with an old Humbrol brush. I appreciate that I will need a regulator which believe can be obtained quite cheaply. Has anyone gone down this route? if so would appreciate a pointer or two.

Also, I use Tamiya paints which I believe are solvent based and someone has told me I will need a special 'reamer' cleaner which nobody seems to keep down here in Cornwall. Is there an alternative? Thanks guys. Pete

D

dubster72

I've heard of people using tanks as a source of compressed air Pete. The advantage is that you get a nice steady flow without any ' pulsing ', a symptom of many cheaper compressors. I'd think a Google search will give you the info you need.

As for Tamiya acrylic paints, they're alcohol based, not water or solvent based as many seem to think. Many clean up with windscreen wash fluid, surgical spirit or a proprietary product like Badger airbrush cleaner.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I know it can be done. A modeller in the U.S that I knew several years ago had such a system. I don't know the details of his system but they must be available somewhere.

Good luck,let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

you might want to fit two regulators valves pete. the first will take the brunt of the psi and the second will even the flow more accurately. I used two valves once on my pneumatic air rifle bottle when I adapted it to run a little steam engine model to run it in and test.

P

Pete Mac

Thanks lads,

A neighbour who knows all about such things is bringing round some regulators tomorrow. I'll let you know if any success as it seems a viable alternative to air cans and even some questionable compressors on the market as there is no such thing as moisture porblems and a cylinder would last ages between a £4 refil.

Pete.

C

CDW

Thats cheap, it used to cost over a tenner to fill the air-arms bottle, about same size as a divers as well.

Anyway hope all goes well and you dont have any problems ...... nasty stuff is compressed air when it wants to break free !!

P

Pete Mac

Yep ! Sure is, especially when you get into the over 60s bracket:shaving:

\ said:
Thats cheap, it used to cost over a tenner to fill the air-arms bottle, about same size as a divers as well.Anyway hope all goes well and you dont have any problems ...... nasty stuff is compressed air when it wants to break free !!