Do you store your own paint mix?

AFC

First Name
Andre
Hi All,

I've noticed that from time to time I use the same paint mixtures in different models. For example, I like to mix black and German grey to paint the tyres of my vehicles. Perhaps any of you are crazy about desert vehicles and always use that dark yellow and desert yellow mix to paint them...

I was just wondering if it is a crazy idea or people do mix these in large quantity and store it in different jars ready to be used next time when needed.

Would the paint deteriorate? I guess if you just mix paint A and B (without a thinner in it) it should behave like paint A in its own jar and paint B in its own jar.

A crazy idea? I might try it one of these days :smiling3:

PS - I know it takes only 2 secs to mix the paint but how many times we spent much more to try to get that very specific mixture? ... Just an idea though :D

Cheers

Andre

F

Fenlander

Storage of a paint mix can be important, especially if you cannot, for whatever reason, paint a whole model in one sitting. It would be a bit risky to mix two batches and hope they turn out exactly the same.

Having said that, assuming that you measure accurately and really mix the individual paints well before mixing them together, they should come out the same. Trouble is, I do not measure accurately I just gauge it by eye so I do tend to keep a bit stored in a little plastic pot just in case I need to touch up or overspray.

One of the beauties however of rough mixing for vehicles of the same theatre is that in real life, no two vehicles would ever look exactly the same colour anyway. So the serendipity outcome of poor measuring is a more realistic look especially if you are doing a diorama of a group vehicles.

Only thing I would say if you do intend to mix and keep is to mix the paint only and thin it as you use it rather than store thinned paint. I don't know why but I have found that thinned paint tends to break down or go lumpy faster than straight mixes. Also, use good pots to store it in, I have to say that the standard glass Tamiya pots are some of the best and should always be cleaned out and stored when empty, never thrown away. For a short time, a good airtight 35mm camera film pot with snap on lid is OK, but I would not trust it long term.

Now I have said that, someone will say they made a batch of Field Grey in 1964 and it is still fine even though stored in a film pot!!!!!!! :smiling5:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
One of my biggest sellers is the Vallejo 17ml bottles, more often than not people buy them 15+ at a time so I would say there is no problem storing mixed paint, I clean out my old bottles for mixing and storing paints and have never had a problem.

AFC

First Name
Andre
Hi Graham, I am still using the Field Grey I mixed in 1964 :smile1:

That's why I was thinking of this...because I also gauge it by eye and that's why sometimes have...shall we say...less nice surprises :smiling3:

Will try though some time. Have some Vallejo bottles almost empty so might be a good thing to keep them.

Anyway...the best of it is that I'm not that crazy after all :D

Cheers

Andre