Does your other half ever share our hobby?

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I think these were taken in 2004, the one and only time missus Miko built a model kit, I only gave technical help, nothing practical, not a bad result for first time out!

Sarahsspitfire0-Copy.jpg

Sarahsspitfire1-Copy.jpg

Sarahsspitfire2-Copy.jpg

The more observant among you will know it's a 1/72 Revell Spitfire mk V

Does your significant other bash plastic?

Miko (modeling solo these days)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
My nearest and dearest is a one woman wrecking team. She was the reason I packed it in about a year after we married. She has promised to not go near these days no matter how much dust they accumulate!!!!!

Ouch!

Miko (I use a fluffy makeup brush stolen from my then teenage sister for dusting my displayed models)

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
No but she always thinks of me and buys me a Model if she thinks I might like it or if I want a couple she never questions me about why I’m buying models. She sees the enjoyment I get out of them I guess

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
No but she always thinks of me and buys me a Model if she thinks I might like it or if I want a couple she never questions me about why I’m buying models. She sees the enjoyment I get out of them I guess

She sounds like a keeper!
Missus Miko generally mocks my for my since boyhood hobby, although she concedes it keeps me quiet and is a gauge on how content I am with the world, if I'm 'with kit' she knows I'm in a good place

Miko (organizing paints for current project)

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I dont want to sit and watch :poop: on tv she doesn't want to make models works quite well ,we still shout to each other from diffrent rooms things like did you want a drink of tea coffee wine etc so I suppose along with with Neil M thats a resounding NO. Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My good lady has never built one but accepts and encourages my efforts. She sometimes comes out to the shop with me and has a good look around at things, She even has a model in her office (which I built), a Motor bike she rather liked.
She has her hobbies, I have mine and we both have the garden.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Absolutely no interest from mine, either in what I do or in doing anything like it herself. No real interest in my other hobby of music either. She’s seen me play about a dozen times in forty years. On the other hand I have to comment favourably on the latest garden plants or wildlife seen in the area, of whIch I only have a passing interest…..

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL MY Jen helps me when i cant hold more than two bits to glue togeather or when tryin to paint a small part but other than that she is into her own hobby of doin diamon art but will help me when i have a problem so yes she like the hobbys but when better wheather then she will be out in the garden but miko i think your missus's spitfire is spot on very good an give her my compliments on a very good build very well done maam

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Good grief, let her loose into my hobby room, not a chance.... That is like letting the Jehova's into a brothel to convert the patrons....
Even when passing she has to remark about the patina (dust), and how it is about time I got the duster in there. I do honest, I get a wet wipe out and wipe away the dust around the bases, I wipe the cutting mat when I eventually clear it. wipe the top of the monitor....
I took her to the Nationals once, She cornered JR and made his eyes roll up into his head talking about dogs for about three hours, poor bloke has never recovered....
I try to explain what the latest model under the knife is, what it was used for and when, but it just goes straight through.
And I did ask her to pick out a kit and I would watch as she built and painted it - she picked out the old Airfix bird, and so armed with this and a bottle of Tamiya's finest she set to work - she failed to tell me she had upset the bottle and would it be ok to open a window to let some air in - no wonder I was feeling sleepy.... The kit has vanished into that doom cupboard women call a wardrobe where they keep things men should not ask about.
Dogs, we have three of them and they are her children, if they cough, frat, or limp it is straight to the vets or some other remedy, I can sit on the tiolet having a heart attack and get asked if I want a cuppa....
Gardening, it should be shared, be nurtured, turned into a joint venture into bringing life into the garden - not a chance, I am there to dig, lift, and screw or nail things, she can be found cursing or talking to her plants and fruit trees, I just wander past in the hopes that she does not spot me on the way to the shed... When I was a boy I nagged my Dad to let me have a little bit of the garden so that i could grow things, I did grow something, he pointed out a length of garden and told me to get all the weeds out. I duly took to it with gusto, and when finished there was not one green thing left, not even a blade of wayward grass - what did I grow - I grew a thick ear because I pulled all of the plants and bulbs up... And so now I will cut the grass if allowed and that is my venture into gardening...
She has her garden(s) and I have my models and may the two never meet....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
My missus has no interest in my hobby whatsoever. She does however support my efforts.
She has her own interests, knitting and sewing. I encourage her. I reckon that she won't begrudge my spending given that her sewing machine cost the best part of £1000 and her new overlocker (whatever that is) cost over £500.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
My missus has no interest in my hobby whatsoever. She does however support my efforts.
She has her own interests, knitting and sewing. I encourage her. I reckon that she won't begrudge my spending given that her sewing machine cost the best part of £1000 and her new overlocker (whatever that is) cost over £500.
I have heard of one of those, I seem to remember my late sister bought one, overlocker that is.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
My wife has absolutely no interest in making models herself but will always look at what I've built.

She doesn't understand the hobby but does appreciate that it helps me relax and that I enjoy it. I'm not sure she really knows how much I've spent on it since starting a few years ago.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a great model, I'd be utterly delighted if that was my first go!

as for my wife, she is into models but now the same kind. She loves building these metal models that come in sheets and you have to bend/fold the tiny metal pieces and create buildings. it's far too fiddly and tiny for me but she loves them as they don't take up much room and don't require painting. She's also done many matchstick models including a HUGE cathedral (images to be found on this forum) and that took many months.

Would I like her to build plastic scale models with me? Yes and no.. Yes because it would be cool to work together on something and no because she's be so much better than me. haha! I have to say she also fully supports my hobby and never complains when I buy stuff, heck she's even bought me models too, latest one was a 1/48 A-6 Intruder by hobbyboss.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Good grief, let her loose into my hobby room, not a chance.... That is like letting the Jehova's into a brothel to convert the patrons....
Even when passing she has to remark about the patina (dust), and how it is about time I got the duster in there. I do honest, I get a wet wipe out and wipe away the dust around the bases, I wipe the cutting mat when I eventually clear it. wipe the top of the monitor....
I took her to the Nationals once, She cornered JR and made his eyes roll up into his head talking about dogs for about three hours, poor bloke has never recovered....
I try to explain what the latest model under the knife is, what it was used for and when, but it just goes straight through.
And I did ask her to pick out a kit and I would watch as she built and painted it - she picked out the old Airfix bird, and so armed with this and a bottle of Tamiya's finest she set to work - she failed to tell me she had upset the bottle and would it be ok to open a window to let some air in - no wonder I was feeling sleepy.... The kit has vanished into that doom cupboard women call a wardrobe where they keep things men should not ask about.
Dogs, we have three of them and they are her children, if they cough, frat, or limp it is straight to the vets or some other remedy, I can sit on the tiolet having a heart attack and get asked if I want a cuppa....
Gardening, it should be shared, be nurtured, turned into a joint venture into bringing life into the garden - not a chance, I am there to dig, lift, and screw or nail things, she can be found cursing or talking to her plants and fruit trees, I just wander past in the hopes that she does not spot me on the way to the shed... When I was a boy I nagged my Dad to let me have a little bit of the garden so that i could grow things, I did grow something, he pointed out a length of garden and told me to get all the weeds out. I duly took to it with gusto, and when finished there was not one green thing left, not even a blade of wayward grass - what did I grow - I grew a thick ear because I pulled all of the plants and bulbs up... And so now I will cut the grass if allowed and that is my venture into gardening...
She has her garden(s) and I have my models and may the two never meet....
I need a bath after reading this novel wow.