Dragon 1/16 Hauptmann

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_4940.JPG

Lets see how we get on with this one - Dragon's 1/16 Hauptmann Grossdeutschland Division. I'm going to drop the original idea of a vignette for the time being, though I may see if any of my recent builds will go together.

The kit comes on one sprue, which at least means there are some unique parts (gun, map case etc) instead of the usual generic equipment sprues:

100_4939.JPG

Construction was pretty straightforward with a very good fit:

100_4941.JPG

His right arm was plastered with moulded tank kill badges and a cuff-band, which I removed because they stood too proud. I'll replace them with a combination of decals and etch.

D

Deleted member 6559

I started early today in order to beat the heat. This is where I got to:

100_4945.JPG100_4944 (1).JPG100_4946 (1).JPG

The head was one of the nicest I've painted for a while. Good old Dragon - if I'd had yet another failure I would probably have thrown down the brushes for good. And as if in approval the Spitfire with the invasion stripes roared over the house just as I'd finished - good omen.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Its too hot to model. Up on Plymouth Hoe at the moment and its 28 degrees in the shade. I think I'm about 20th in line for a Mr Whippy. Good luck with this one Peter

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A very nice looking head Peter.Never would believe its a plastic one mate.Really nice done so far mate.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - About 31 degrees here at the moment. Can't move.

Fernando - Glad you approve. Thanks for looking in.

Richard - I've always said that some of these Dragon heads are among the best at this sclae. This was lovely to paint.

I've found a picture of the person I think Dragon intended to depict:

tumblr_ntf1kpDZCD1rji3x6o1_540.jpg

This is Bruno Kikillus, of Lithuanian extraction, who was an Oberleutnant with the Grossdeutschland in the Ukraine in 1943. He belonged to a heavy gun company, equipped with Bison 15cm self-propelled guns and was notable for his many awards for bravery. He was killed in 1944.

D

Deleted member 4539

This is one of your best faces I have seen in a while Peter :smiling3:.

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim and Ralph - Thanks. It certainly helps having a good sculpt.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps.

This may make it into a dio. I have a couple of completed figures that could go with it, plus one on order.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Very nice work on the drapery of the uniform jacket, old school grey trousers to go with the green collar?

He has a look of Daniel Craig too?

Looks like a run of steady nice weather, even though its Wimbledon!

After mowing the lawn, the washer broke!

DIY weekend, fixing and fettling, had to make do with tidying my desk inbetween the other things!

So much for some relaxing modeling, perhaps next weekend?

Have a good day with the paints

Its nice out there

Regards

Steve H

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve.

Sounds like you had a busy weekend - hopefully next weekend will prove more amenable for modelling. Too hot here on Saturday, but down to 25 on Sunday and fresher.

I'm going for field grey kecks, as per the box art (older jacket?).

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice indeed Peter. The face is very impressive.:thumb2:
I was able to model yesterday due to having both doors open, it creates a through draft.
More windy this morning, and cloud.

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning John - Glad you like him so far. Nice painting weather today.

I'm really enjoying doing these Dragon figures at the moment. This one is especially well sculpted, and beats most of the resin offerings out there.

Legs done:

100_4952.JPG100_4951.JPG

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
...As usual... what a superb choice of color scheme and your skin tones are TOP

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Very nice indeed Peter. The face is very impressive.:thumb2:
I was able to model yesterday due to having both doors open, it creates a through draft.
More windy this morning, and cloud.

If I had a through draft I would loose most of my rivets and fine detailing. I spend most of my time at the bench holding my breath. No deep sighs or sneezing are permitted either. :smiling5::smiling::cool:. However when its time to tidy the bench I just open the window and job done:loudly-crying: