Dragon 6360 Pz IV F2 with MiniArt Middle Eastern buildings

SteveH

SMF Poster
First Name
Stephen
Morning

Started at last, THANKS FOR THE GUILT TRIP John!

The Dragon Pz IV F2 is a smart kit which reduces the parts count with no loss of detail.

Apart from an RB turned barrel it will be OOTB build.

Its all about the paintwork.

Loads of builds and reviews on the interweb and lots of references too.

The burning question for a DAK Pz IV F2, also known as the Mark IV special, is

What is the base colour?

So far, it would be reasonable to have it as a RAL 8020 and not the Pz Grey with a field applied sand brown coat.

I shall progress on this basis, and will attempt the RAL 8020 sand brown and RAL 7027 grey 2/3, 1/3 camo scheme.

This will reduce the need to have a heavily chipped finish, and I shall try to replicate a heavily loaded vehicle trying to get to Tunis to escape, during late 42 early 43.

That's the plan, lets see what 2019 gifts us with.

The base for the scenario will be

The MiniArt buildings and base will be fun, its all in the fill and sand, level, fill and sand again!

I really want to do a date or coconut palm, do they have them in Tunisia?

Time to google it!

I would have loaded this one up sooner, but due to the untimely death of my laptop, and my lack of mobility, due my new right knee,
its taken longer than I thought it would, 3 weeks in fact!

So, Pz IV F 2 tub and tracks done,

buildings started

Is there room for a kubel too?

We have started so lets see how it goes

Regards

Steve H

Peter Day

SMF Poster
First Name
Peter
Wow Steve - you're on a roll!

Is that Miniart building as gruesome as it looks?

SteveH

SMF Poster
First Name
Stephen
Thanks Peter

Swap roll for crawl, as I have had this as a draught since before the laptop died!

I tend to post slowly almost weekly as I don't build than fast with "other/work" commitments.

Being on recovery after the knee replacement has given me a little more time.

Though Anna had me replacing lino in the cats bath room/office yesterday Grr!

YES, the MiniArt building is gruesome, but it falls into what I enjoy as a modeller.

Its a construction exercise, which is what I enjoy, I'll update later this week as I have nearly finished all the wall sections.

Modelling is all engineering for me, not artistic!

Its the artistic side I need to improve on, which is why this year will be OOTB and straight to paint, as quickly as possible.

Regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

Apprentice Bodger
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve

Seat front and centre for this one if I may. Looks like a cracking kit.

You are spot on with the colour scheme. Sometimes known as the Tropen 2 scheme which super seeded the Tropen 1 scheme as it proved to be too low-contrast for the deep shadows of the African desert. A second colour scheme was developed, also using colours from the RAL archive. The new colours were RAL 8020 Braun and RAL 7027 Grau. When applied in a solid coating, they were a higher contrast than the Tropen 1 system. The Tropen 2 colours were authorized in March 1942, but they were not used extensively until the summer. As the first F2's were ready in March 1942, this would fit in perfectly. If your going to be chipping you may want to bear in mind the undercoat used was red oxide by this time (Which I am sure you knew)

328834 328835

Vehicles in the Tropen 2 camouflage scheme generally have higher contrast between the colours.

If you want another option there are instances of K2's in RAL 8020 just painted over the original grey RAL 7021 which by Tunisia would be showing through quite a lot.

I noticed the decal option for the Afrika Corps option in the kit was for F2 in the Pz.Rgt. 8, 15th Panzer Division, Tunisia 1942 with the turret number 215. I dont know if this is your 215 as these were taken at the end of the year in November 1942 as part of the 21st Panzer Division at El Alamein. If not it still gives you a good idea of the camo scheme

Here are the Bison options if you want to do another regiment

Any how good luck with the build. I am sure it will be a classic

BigGreg

SMF Poster
First Name
Gregory
I'm in..... with wine and pizza...

Peter Gillson

SMF Poster
First Name
Peter
Hi Steve

A nice project.

I have used a cou0le of Miniart buildings and quite like them.

These look nice representation of the location, and I am sure you will make good use of the different levels. The one thing which looks odd to me is the very left hand one has battle damage. It looks a little out of place compatrd to the other buildings.

Peter