monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
good start Mike,nice work with the tracks, :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Good stuff Mike, I've got the ausf J to do, so I'll be watching yours - unless you fancy a P III dual build! ;)

Are they the winterketten tracks?

Cheers

Patrick

M

Michael Boyes

Ye Patrick they are the winterketten track they where a nightmare to put together and bend to shape but am very happy with the end result. I am going to be doing a diorama for this one it will be my first ever lol Am going to do a winter scene am going for some damage on the tank but not too much. I have not really gone mad with the inside as you can not see too much anyway and the interior in these tanks changed I have read that it was off white, Magnolia or red which seems a extreme colour for inside. I have also made up my own oxide red for the base colour I found out that they never painted the hull they just left it with the oxide red showing so I have just painted the hull and left it in the red. I am looking forward to doing the snow scene I have got some good ideas that I hope will come out great. More pics to follow

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great start to a really good kit Mike.

Do you plan an interior? Seems unusual to paint the hull in parts and not as a whole.

Cheers

P

M

Michael Boyes

\ said:
Great start to a really good kit Mike.
Do you plan an interior? Seems unusual to paint the hull in parts and not as a whole.

Cheers

P
I made a small mistake and glued the main drive and idle wheels on if I had put the fenders on I would not have got the tracks on at all. This is not the way I would have done it but this is only my 2nd model in 15 years so learning new stuff as I go along. I am not going to do a interior in this one I may have a soldier sticking out one of the hatches but this model is going to get the snow treatment. I do have a few nice kits coming up that are going to have full detail interiors am looking forward to those one been a King Tiger

M

Michael Boyes

First stage of rust and a light wash of umber next one is going to be more reds browns I did a full coat of steel first I wanted some small patches showing through you may not see much at all once all the wet mud goes on these but liking the look of the rust so far

View attachment 111748

20150610_120110.jpg

D

dubster72

Michael, German tracks were coated with an anti-rust coating! Of course, it's your build though ;)

M

Michael Boyes

\ said:
Michael, German tracks were coated with an anti-rust coating! Of course, it's your build though ;)
I have read loads on German tracks and most say that the oxide coating came through from wear. I have put the rust layer on first as bolts would have surly got rusty I still have other coats of browns and reds etc to get the look am after and then the tracks are going to get a heavy coating of wet mud

M

Michael Boyes

Tracks now painted I have tried to get contrasts of metals I hope you can see from these 2 photos the different grey and slight brown tones. Because this tank is going to be in contact with snow all the time there are shiny bits of metal where the snow would keep it clean. I still have a long way to go on these as they are going to get the full wet mud treatment with snow too. But am happy so far they look pleasing to my eyes and look kinda of what a real track would look like I hope as its hard finding colour photos of these things.

View attachment 111800

View attachment 111801

20150610_220300.jpg

20150610_220320.jpg

M

Michael Boyes

Another update tracks are now on and did some basic dried mud just for some color. I will do more to them once I get the diorama started. Top half primed and ready to go I will spray the Grey on tomorrow then start the shading process. I am happy with how the tracks look I am really enjoying building this kit I think it looks a bit different to the norm because of the snow tracks. I found a nice German tank officer to go in the turret. More to follow.

View attachment 111895

View attachment 111896

View attachment 111897

View attachment 111898

20150611_213319.jpg

20150611_213331.jpg

20150611_213339.jpg

20150611_213349.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Love the look of your tracks and as u say the snow tracks look cool look forward to seeing more

M

Michael Boyes

Need some feed back on the final shading am not sure if its too light I still have white camouflage to put on yet I have placed my tank guy in and he looks good so far. I have put gloss varnish all over the model so I can re paint it a bit darker but every color pic I see has a different German Grey. I await your feed back cheers

View attachment 111910

View attachment 111911

20150612_122300.jpg

20150612_122312.jpg

D

dubster72

I would say that's a few shades too light Michael.

German / Panzer Grey was almost black in reality, although for scale purposes we need to lighten it.

Using the colour you've got now on just the most raised points of the tank would be fine.