Dragons FW190D-9

First Name
Alan
I'm about to start Dragons FW190D-9 in 1/48th. Howwever ive noticed they give the cockpit colour as RLM74. I think its RLM66 Does anyone knoe whats right and of any other things I should look out for.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The cockpit interior should be RLM 66.

I'm not familiar with that kit, but if you want to post the painting instructions I'm happy to offer an opinion :smiling3:

First Name
Alan
Thanks i thought it should be RLM66. I've posted the instructions for you if you spot anything else let me know as it would be a big help thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 4
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 8

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The most obvious thing is that the slogan 'Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn,"("By Order of the State Railway") a reference to the manner by which a shot down German pilot could return to his unit with a free railway pass, was applied to Red 3, not Red 1.
The slogan on Red 1 was "Verkaaft's mei Gwand 'I foahr in Himmel" ("Sell my clothes, I'm going to heaven!"), black humour which surely needs no explanation.

Nobody can be sure whether the white stripes continued for the length of the fuselage, or were cut off as in the instructions, that's your call, but the underside of the tailplane almost certainly had a couple of white stripes on each side.

The two principle upper surface colours are usually interpreted as a light and dark green, RLM 82 and RLM 83. I don't want to get into a massive debate about RLM colours (it's complicated) and most manufacturers of model paints do the relevant greens for those two RLM numbers. I assume that's what the instructions are asking for.

I'm not at home, and can't check, but I'd be surprised if Red 1 did not have the JV44 emblem on the port side, as seen in this appalling photograph of a model of Red 1 I built many, many years ago.

Attachments

• 190D 3.jpg
    190D 3.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 6

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'll just add that we have just one rather poor genuine colour (not colourised) photograph of one of these aircraft, taken by an American at the end of the war.

Fw190D9_JV44_kolor.jpg

It showed that the undersides were indeed red with white stripes as opposed to black with white stripes as had been previously considered likely.

I'd say that this one has three white stripes on each side of the tailplane.

This is your subject...count the stripes!

25d379c001df2b752613dca290601590.jpg

Here's a page from one of Jerry Crandall's books (about these aircraft) showing the various slogans, numbers and emblems.

Crandall Cockpit.jpg

Finally, because we can, a picture of some of the pilots of this protection squadron.

Pic-Themembers.jpg

They are supposedly sitting on 'Red 3'.

They are, left to right, Leutnant Heinz Sachsenberg, your man Hauptmann Waldemar Wubke, Oberleutnant Klaus Faber and Leutnant Karl-Heinz Hoffmann.

Last edited:
First Name
Alan
Thanks for all the help been looking into getting some new detail parts aperently the wheel wells are incorrect. Looking at getting an aires set to rebo the whole front of the aircraft. Engine engine covers cockpit will also look for new decal sheets thanks agian for the help.