Dry brush...is it too much?

AFC

First Name
Andre
B

Bunkerbarge

Firstly I wouldn't consider redoing anything unless it was you that was unhappy with it. We can only give opinions but ultimately only you can decide on whether you are happy or not.

For me it's not so much the dry brushing as the base coat that looks a bit heavy and seems to have quite a texture to it. I'm not sure what paint you have used but was it a bit thick? This has then had the effect of making the dry brushing a bit too noticeable because the textured base has taken the dry brushing a bit too much. Dry brushing should be so subtle as to be hardly noticeable so you need to keep the brush very dry and keep at it until you slowly see the effect take shape. The temptation is to put a bit too much paint on as you are getting bored and then you end up with too much.

I certainly wouldn't try to go over it again as you will end up compounding one thing you are not happy with by putting another on top and removing the lot is a very big job to consider but for next time get the base coat of a nice thin layer so all the detail shows through and then a very light dry brushing to do nothing more than enhance the highlights of the detail.

By the way there are no experts on here, we are all modellers at various stages of our development!!

AFC

First Name
Andre
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comments.

This part of the model suffered lots of experiments (mainly the top capsule) and that's why it doesn't look so good.

I'll keep in mind your suggestions for my next model though. One is to be more patient and I guess I need to learn how to use other mediums for the dry brush as I used thinned paint only. Also I did it all over the model whereas it might have been better to do it on certain details only.

Also you're right about the coat being too thick. I'm fighting to find the perfect paint + thinner mix as, I can see now, they heavily impact the texture and therefore any weathering you plan to do.

For these 2 pieces I used Revell enamel Aluminium which came with the kit. It looked a bit old and I shouldn't have used it (my spray gun complained but I didn't listen to it). For a 3rd piece of this model, I bought the same colour but Acrylic which, after thinned with water, looks much better on the model.

One reason I though of re-doing all the paint work, was to be able to paint all the pieces with the same paint mix...but you're right when calling my attention to how much work will be compared with the result I'll achieve (and, of course, the details I'll loos).

So next model will have all this taken into consideration :smiling:

...and yeah most of you are experts to me (as in a compliment) as you have much more expertise/experience than me...that's why, after searching the max I can, I post this questions so I can have your feedback :smiling:

Thanks!

Cheers

AC

B

Bunkerbarge

AC, I think you have the right idea already, you just need a bit of practise now. We've all been there, and I do mean us all!!!, lost patience, gone too quickly and made a mess of something. It's all part of the learning and the process of improving all the time. I couldn't give you any better advice than you've already indicated so move on that bit better prepared and enjoy the next one.

You could always put a bit of heat staining colouring on the Command Module and stick it on a base with polyfilla water on it with a couple of deflated parachutes sat next to it. The paint surface might look a bit more appropraite then!!