Drying time????

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi All,

I have a question. I've just started using an airbrush. Can someone give me an idea on drying / curing times for acrylics???? I need to do some masking and I don't want to pull the paint off when I remove the tape........... So how long should I leave it????

Many thanks

Peter

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Well I have sprayed and masked my work (vajello model air ) within in the hour but please don" t do this on my advice as I"m no expert I just like taking risks I have read on previous posts on this subject that some people leave it twenty four hrs hope this helps

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Thanks John. I think I'll go for the 24 hour mark.

Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good idea Peter.

Although the paint is 'dry' very quickly, its only really robust after it has had time to cure (harden). The next day is normally OK.

Ian M

T

tecdes

Just to add Peter that you can apply another coat very quickly. Found about 2 hours & you can dust off carefully. Water by this time ie 2 hours is not likeley to budge the surface but neat thinners probably will. I am talking from the experience of Vallejo Model Air.

If you are masking I would go for 24 hours. Also if you have to wet & dry to get rid of bits or a poblem in the paint film then I would leave at least 24 hours as otherwise it tends to tear off in strips.

Phil Flory who has produced a lot of "how to do it" clips actually uses the airbrush with just the trigger on the brush pushed down to allow air to escape & not paint, ie do not pull trigger back. This drys paint quickly to enable a quick further coat. Tried it a number of times, impatience, and it does work. But often wonder if it then takes more time to cure.

Laurie

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Thanks guys............ I did one coat. Then left it for about 45 minutes and put a second coat on. I should add here that I' am painting the inside and the front and rear cockpit assemblies out of the airframe........... So I guess tomorrow I'll be ok to mask up and brush some of the detail in.

Peter

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I second the 24 hour wait before masking. I use Vallejo all the time. I would also recommend washing the model before laying down a coat of paint and using primer as well for 'handled' surfaces. I wash mine with an alcohol wipe.

T

tecdes

Could you describe an alcohol wipe Barry size etc. & were to get them a chemist I suspect ! Are they lintless (ugly word) ? Always worried that wipes leave very small bits of the wipe material behind.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi Laurie.

By that I meant using ipa to clean the model with. Not pre-packed wipes as such.... I use it on decent quality kitchen roll.

R

Roobarb

Could I just add my penny's worth, Ifind gloss acrylics require an appreciably longer drying/curing timewhen compared to matt acrylic paints,with Tamiya gloss I would notattempt to mask or wet sand for at least two days if possible I wouldleave longer.When applying acrylics I aways lay a primer downfirst,this is after first preping the surface,I just won't risk it asI've had acrylics on a couple of occasions lift,for priming I'vesettled on using Alclad grey/white primer,although very good resultscan be obtained using Halford's grey aerosol primer. The only acrylicI would risk putting down without a primer would be paints from theold Aeromaster/Pollyscale range,although of course they are no longermanufactured.(I still think they were the best acrylic modeling paintevery produced for smoothness of finish and toughness).

Although we tend to say acrylics cureafter a few days I don't believe thy complteley cure until a number ofweeks or months have gone by,

A final point if the acrylic paint isgoing to be handled or worked a coat of varnish such as Klear is wellworth considering.

Malcolm

A

AJay

Peter, I use Vallejos and would also wait for as long as possible before masking.

I find that Vallejo paint is very delicate until varnished, and just the slightest rubbing on it can remove paint. I have also had masking tape lift paint off if it's fresh.

Tamiya acrylics are a long stronger, I find. I haven't had them chip or scrape paint while handling a model.

Alex

T

tecdes

Youch something wrong there Alex. Vallejo OK & provided I have prepared the plastic with wet & dry & applied a Vallejo primer I have found it very resilient. As yet not had a problem with masking up after 24 hours although I get the paint on & remove masking as soon as possible. Have had a minor niggle where i have been impatient & masked up with out waiting for a proper drying period.I have found with small pieces not primed that they will not take much handling.

Cannot compare Tamiya but must have a go. But do they smell Alex ? In a flat now not a garage & smell can be an issue !!!!!!

Laurie

A

AJay

Laurie, it's maybe because I use tap water with my Vallejo acrylics that they are so delicate? All my models are wet and dried and primed, so can't think what else would cause it. Maybe the other alternative is that I'm just too heavy-handed! LOL

Yes, the Tamiya acrylics smell especially with the thinner that I use with them. I suffer from asthma but with a mask and the window open, I get by.

I only have a large stock of Vallejos on my shelve because they don't have such a strong odor.

T

tecdes

May be it Alex. If you put a small puddle of Vallejo Thinners & leave to dry the residue looks as though it has a fixative ability.

Do you use Vallejo Primer ? Cannot think of any other reason.

Yes the prime reason (plus a number of supporting reasons) for moving when I first started from Humbrol enamel to Vallejo. The Humbrol was making me feel ill after every use.

Think I will give the Tamiya a miss. Any benefit would be swamped by the moans from my cook, cleaner & washing machine operative.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

I read that it is essential to let a paint coat "cure" for at least 24 hours before applying varnish.

T

tecdes

I would think Steve the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

If you use the same manufacturer for paint & varnish then it probably is a different matter than vice versa.

A good manufacture will have the same driers for both products or have matched products to each other. Some where I read in the Vallejo blurb that you can use all their many products one with the other..

With Vallejo I have varnished over acrylic the same day. However I suspect it then takes more time to properly cure the paint layers & varnish.

Also in the pot is the type of varnish. Matt will take less drying time than a full gloss.

Another experiment Steve ?

Laurie