Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII - completed

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finally finished.......................DSCF1160.JPGDSCF1161.JPGDSCF1162.JPGDSCF1163.JPGDSCF1164.JPGDSCF1167.JPGDSCF1168.JPG
DSCF1170.JPG

Biplanes aren't everbody's cup of tea, but I've been making them off & on for over 40 years. Of late I haven't made so many, so I've been dragging out the old techniques from the dusty part of my mind.
The Eduard Fokker D.VII is an ideal first biplane, the 'N' struts are easy to align, there is very little rigging & the fit is pretty good, the only filler being used to smooth the bottom fuselage to lower wing. It's an odd one in that at least 75% of the airframe is covered by the lozenge decals, which, although tedious aren't too difficult ( decal solutions a must! ) . The D.VII had many colourful finishes, mine is a bit drab, compared to them. I have a couple more D.VIIs in the stash, so I may try one in the future.
Thanks for dropping by - I can now clear the decks to start the large Pantsir build.
Dave

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice job on that Dave. I always like biplanes, I should make more myself!

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
WOW !!
bloody excellent build Dave, I love it,
You've made it look so easy to do as well.. :thumb2:

what's next ? more Biplanes ?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That looks spot on Dave, brilliant.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely job dave , those decals must have been quite tricky but you mastered them , cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Dave that's one great build I'm tempted to have a go at a biplane myself Revell have a Bucker B-131 Jungmann in 1/32 scale.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave that's one great build I'm tempted to have a go at a biplane myself Revell have a Bucker B-131 Jungmann in 1/32 scale.
The Revell model is a reboxing of the ICM original which looks a really nice model - I'd love to go to 1/32, but they're just that bit too big, you can fit 2 X 1/48 models into the space of a 1/32!
Dave

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That's true Dave but my eyesight is not good enough you must have the patience of a saint to work at that scale. I thought I'd start big and work down and it's an affordable price at £24 from Amazon. Yes I did notice it's a re-boxing of an ICM kit but as you say it looks alright.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's true Dave but my eyesight is not good enough you must have the patience of a saint to work at that scale. I thought I'd start big and work down and it's an affordable price at £24 from Amazon. Yes I did notice it's a re-boxing of an ICM kit but as you say it looks alright.
I cut my teeth on biplanes, with 1/72 vacforms in the 70's - and rigged them! It's not particularly my eyesight but keeping my hands steady that's now the limiting factor. ICM make some really nice models, their 1/48 MiG-25 RBT is still the best engineered model I've ever made - Revell seem to have some sort of tie in with them, as they've reboxed quite a few of their models, I suppose it makes them more widely available/
Go For It!
Dave

First Name
Carl
Finally finished.......................View attachment 404068View attachment 404069View attachment 404070View attachment 404071View attachment 404072View attachment 404074View attachment 404075
View attachment 404076

Biplanes aren't everbody's cup of tea, but I've been making them off & on for over 40 years. Of late I haven't made so many, so I've been dragging out the old techniques from the dusty part of my mind.
The Eduard Fokker D.VII is an ideal first biplane, the 'N' struts are easy to align, there is very little rigging & the fit is pretty good, the only filler being used to smooth the bottom fuselage to lower wing. It's an odd one in that at least 75% of the airframe is covered by the lozenge decals, which, although tedious aren't too difficult ( decal solutions a must! ) . The D.VII had many colourful finishes, mine is a bit drab, compared to them. I have a couple more D.VIIs in the stash, so I may try one in the future.
Thanks for dropping by - I can now clear the decks to start the large Pantsir build.
Dave
Brilliant job Dave, I do like the bi-planes. I think it’s the wood bits or something but they can be a Challenge to make. My first attempt at the Sopwith Camel was a night mare trying to fix the wings. I would like to have a go at the Wingnut Wings 1/32 Felixstowe F.2A but they seem to go for about £300 plus now which feels a bit steep.
Anyway, you have clearly not forgot any of the skills.
Carl

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Brilliant job Dave, I do like the bi-planes. I think it’s the wood bits or something but they can be a Challenge to make. My first attempt at the Sopwith Camel was a night mare trying to fix the wings. I would like to have a go at the Wingnut Wings 1/32 Felixstowe F.2A but they seem to go for about £300 plus now which feels a bit steep.
Anyway, you have clearly not forgot any of the skills.
Carl
Carl,
I looked at Wingnut Wings when they first arrived, and was tempted - now with their demise, the prices have just gone up & up. The only maker of 1/32 WWI aircraft in the 'mainstream' I can think of, with a fair catalogue is Roden, and their prices seem to be around the £50 mark - I lurk on ebay, but so far with no luck................
Dave

First Name
Carl
Carl,
I looked at Wingnut Wings when they first arrived, and was tempted - now with their demise, the prices have just gone up & up. The only maker of 1/32 WWI aircraft in the 'mainstream' I can think of, with a fair catalogue is Roden, and their prices seem to be around the £50 mark - I lurk on ebay, but so far with no luck................
Dave
Yes, these things can be just pot luck to find a bargain. Like you I roam the Ebay for bargains although everyone knows what they are selling these days so rare to find cheap
Bargains.