Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Beer Barrels

First Name
Jason
Afternoon All,

Its been a while since I got stuck into a build and now I have a bit of time I decided to open up my Royal Class Spitfire set. How cool is it!!! Two kits, lots of PE including cockpit details and landing flaps, resin wheels, slipper tanks and beer barrels and more decal options than you can shake a stick at. Oh and a nice beer glass;).

This is my first look at the Eduard Spit and I am impressed. I'm sure, like me if you are a fan of Spitfires you have read all the reviews of this kit, good and bad but I really do think it is a wonderful looking kit.

I have left the sprue shots out, most have probably seen them but if anyone wants I can post them.

I start all builds the same way. Remove all parts from sprues, clean up and sand, build any small sub assemblies and then mount for primer.

Whilst doing this I came across one small problem with this kit.

View attachment 89395

As you can see, there is flash protruding from the exhaust tips on one side. When removed it leaves a completely solid exhaust tip. Stark contrast to the other side which is very finely rendered.

I thought about drilling the tips but that would be a pain in the a%@$e so I dropped an email to Eduard and they immediately offered to supply me with resin replacements:smiling3:. Well done Eduard.

As is traditional, office first.

View attachment 89396

View attachment 89397

View attachment 89398

View attachment 89399

There's plenty of detail in the plastic kit on its own and there is PE instrument panel and harness in the Royal Class kit. I added a couple of hoses and wires. Painted in Tamiya cockpit green and weathered and chipped a bit.

All buttoned up with just the tiniest smear of filler. Then onto the painting. Now I've never painted invasion stripes before so I did it the way that made sense to me. I roughly airbrushed the wings and rear of the fuselage white, then I worked out that the stripes should be about 8mm wide so I marked up and masked for the black stripes. These are Tamiya nato black as I thought that flat black would be too stark a contrast. Then the invasion stripes were masked off completely apart from the small rectangles in the middle fuselage stripe, painted with grey first then masked with blu-tac for the green.

View attachment 89400

View attachment 89401

View attachment 89402

It was quite scary unmasking it all but it didn't look too bad. I still have some touching up to do and a panel of sky colour on the rearmost fuselage stripe to paint but I'm on a roll at the moment and I have a few days off this week so should be at the decal stage pretty soon.....

Thanks for looking

Jason

CSC_0606.JPG

CSC_0616.JPG

CSC_0617.JPG

CSC_0618.JPG

CSC_0619.JPG

CSC_0623.JPG

CSC_0624.JPG

CSC_0627.JPG

P

Polux

This is one of the best kit that I ever had on my hands, in fact I never finish it :oops:, but the quality was magnificent!!

If someday I decide to be a plane builder, the Eduard Royal Class will be my first option ;)

By the way your model looks spot on!! Keep up the good work!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Wendall. Your invasion stripes look very good.

D

dubster72

Nice work there Jason. This build is getting better & better :smiling3:

The subject of invasion stripes has come up before & Steve (stona) posted some pics where it looked like the paint had been applied with brooms!

First Name
Jason
A little bit more progress on the Mk 9. The whole thing had a coat of Klear before decals. They went on an absolute treat, hardly any need for microsol. Weathering so far consists of a brown filter all over and a very dark green wash to pick out the panel lines and some of the rivet detail. The canopy masks have come off very cleanly, leaving a nice crisp edge, which was a bit of a worry given the amount of paint around that area.

I have tried something new for the final topcoat. I would usually use Tamiya flat clear but couldn't get any so I mixed some Tamiya flat base with Klear and it has left quite a nice almost matt finish so I'm happy with that.

Just a few finishing bits left so hopefully not long till its finished.

View attachment 89743

View attachment 89744

View attachment 89745

Thanks for looking

Jason

CSC_0640.JPG

CSC_0641.JPG

CSC_0643.JPG

First Name
Jason
Thanks fellas, having a few days away this week, relaxing in the countryside:smiling3:Hopefully get this one finished off next weekend.