Eduard 32 scale: Bf109E-4

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Pilot: Wolfgang Lippert, Greece 1941.

A very enjoyable build but the kit does have some fit issues, wing/fuse join for instance though I had none of the cowl fit issues some report probably because I fitted my own location tabs to 'spread' the cowl enabling a good fit for that and the panels.

This did put me off the purchase of Eduard detailing sets though. Much of the pe is just too small to handle even with optivisor, tweezers etc, besides - far to much of the extra detailing is not at all visible and does not add to the finished look when it is all buttoned up.

But still - I do recommend this kit but it is not one for beginners and you do need to be patient doing a lot of dry fits and planning the build.

Paints are Vallejo Model Air mostly, some Model Colour used on detail and where metallics are used they were Gunze buffables.

Excuse the pics - photography is not my strong point...

View attachment 68249

View attachment 68250

View attachment 68251

View attachment 68252

View attachment 68253

View attachment 68254

Bf109E-4 2.jpg

Bf109E-4 3.jpg

Bf109E-4 4.jpg

Bf109E-4 5.jpg

Bf109E-4.jpg

IMG_00000213.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great build Barry, nice paint job especially like the mottling.

First Name
Dave
That's a really nice 109.Superb paintwork.The fuselage mottle looks nicely done.I know what you mean about P.E.I can't work with the really tiny parts either.

T

tecdes

Very nice Barry. Understated & controlled weathering accentuating the panel lines & other places. Nice distress marks around the cockpit. That for me is just right.

How did you achieve the camouflage "spots" ? I assume you used an airbrush. If so what needle/nozzle did you use ?

Photography is not easy. I have invested in a macro lense which can get up to about an inch & take clear pictures. Really good to show detail.

Very nice model Barry & pleasing on the eye.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Laurie - I used my H&S with a 0.2 needle, done freehand. I am very pleased at how it turned out and feel that, at last, I am getting the hang of doing more complex stuff with the a/n. It does take a lot of practise. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Just to add - I thinned the Model Air paint about 10%, sprayed at approx 20 psi.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A very nice Emil it is too! Well worth five stars to the collection!

Your normal high standard Barry. Tidy and very well painted.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Barry, this is one nice, crisp build and excellent paintwork.

Seeing how this has turned out you will have no trouble with the amazing cammo on your next Balkans 109!

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Top job, it looks absolutely spot on.

Well done on the cowl too, everyone else seems to have trouble with that!

Spare a thought for Wolfgang Lippert. He died of an embolism in a British hospital in Egypt following an operation to amputate both his legs which had become infected when badly broken as he bailed out, striking the tail of his own aircraft.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work Barry. The camo application is fabulous and the overall build is excellent.

Just finished this kit myself and the only build issue I had was the order in which the oil radiator is fitted in the fuselage - I would definitely do things differently next time, although to be fair everything turned out fine.

It's a great kit and this is a fine example of the finished model

Cheers

P

A

AVB99

An enviable quailty build - thank you for posting it - it's inspirational.

One day.........!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You may say your photography isn't very good, but you can't say that about your modelling! That's beautiful and easily worth *****.

Gern

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I've only just clocked this one Barry. Absolutely superb work. Very clean and crisp paintwork......... Top Job. 5 big ***** from me for this one matey.

Peter

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Super work Barry, it has come out extremely well, top stuff.

C

Cooperman69

Lovely!! Really nice job there Barry 5*. Mottling is very well done.

Makes me want to get cracking with my 109 :smiling3:

Just purchased the RLM set of Vallejo Model Air and got to say I really like the colours you have ended up with, where they straight from the bottle? Also what H&S airbrush do you own? I've been looking to get one myself.

Atb, Colin.

P

Polux

That's a beauty!

Excellent paint work, it's a very tidy and clean build.

Five stars from me too!

Cheers. Polux