Enamel thinner ?

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Enamel thinner ?low odour Enamel thinner ?low odour white spirit?.............Turpentine​

I use a lot of enamel products over acrylic paint ie filters ,washes ,panel liner you name it a lot of it vigorously removed ,ages ago I had some AK low odour stuff wich seemed much gentler than bog standered white spirit it did the same job but didn't seem as aggressive ,im currently using low odour white spirit wich is fine does what I ask of it but I'm sure it helps pieces de bond . So whats turpentine if artist's use it with oils will it thin/ wash/remove the mentioned enamel products the AK stuff being expensive for a tiny bottle turpentine comes in considerably cheaper for a large amount ,suppose I should have just asked can I use it instead of white spirit/ enamel thinner. Dave.
Oh I dont ever varnish before weathering I like the products to change the paint finish not Bob about on a coat if protective varnish.

Last edited by a moderator:

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I use artists turps now for oils, I used to use turps for cleaning paint brushes back when using Humbrol enamels, so yes, it will thin and clean up enamels.
Finding real turps can be a chore these days as most places sell a "turpentine substitute".

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
My experience is quite extensive as enamels were my go to paints for years. Everything you mentioned there will work with enamels.

Caveat first though. I have a stock of Phoenix quick drying airbrush thinners I’ve been working though for years when brush working with enamels. Probably never get through it now as these days I don’t use enamels much at all……before I bought that I used Humbrol enamel thinners. Works well, but absolutely stinks……

Sansodor low odour spirits is my go to for oils, and it works fine with enamels as well. I’ve used it for washes and paint dilution many times.

I have some turpentine. Smells nice, but I’m unfortunately allergic to it….that’s why I went over to Sansodor low odour spirits. it will also work with enamels.

White spirit can definitely debond parts. I made a wash out of it and then watched it dissolve an assembled set of individual track links for an SkDfz 250…. It’s quite harsh, and not a great smell so these days I only use it for cleaning brushes ;)

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My experience is quite extensive as enamels were my go to paints for years. Everything you mentioned there will work with enamels.

Caveat first though. I have a stock of Phoenix quick drying airbrush thinners I’ve been working though for years when brush working with enamels. Probably never get through it now as these days I don’t use enamels much at all……before I bought that I used Humbrol enamel thinners. Works well, but absolutely stinks……

Sansodor low odour spirits is my go to for oils, and it works fine with enamels as well. I’ve used it for washes and paint dilution many times.

I have some turpentine. Smells nice, but I’m unfortunately allergic to it….that’s why I went over to Sansodor low odour spirits. it will also work with enamels.

White spirit can definitely debond parts. I made a wash out of it and then watched it dissolve an assembled set of individual track links for an SkDfz 250…. It’s quite harsh, and not a great smell so these days I only use it for cleaning brushes ;)
Thanks Tim ,as I said I'm pretty violent when it comes to weathering ,not that I'll change my technique but if a gentler product does the same and hopefully helps to stop the odd part debonding then I'm in. I dont think its that expensive seen 500m pure turpentine for between eleven and fourteen pounds or so taking into account how long it will last(must have had my low odour white spirit for at least four years dont think I've barley used a third)it will probably do me out my days. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim ,as I said I'm pretty violent when it comes to weathering ,not that I'll change my technique but if a gentler product does the same and hopefully helps to stop the odd part debonding then I'm in. I dont think its that expensive seen 500m pure turpentine for between eleven and fourteen pounds or so taking into account how long it will last(must have had my low odour white spirit for at least four years dont think I've barley used a third)it will probably do me out my days. Dave
Artists stuff is much cheaper than modellers stuff……..and Windsor and Newton Sansodor is less aggressive and faster drying than Turpentine. It’s also about the same price.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've only used genuine turpentine for woodworking, but it seems more aggressive than white spirit. I would stick to Sansodor for modelling.
Pete