Engine wires/pipes

B

backonthecase

Maybe an obvious thing to a lot of you boffins in here, but I've discovered a very handy resource for modeling engine electrics, air/coolant hoses and the like - Telephone wire!

-It seems to be the right thickness to look accurate and convincing.

-It can be bent and holds its position at the set angle you bend it at.

-You can get different thicknesses using it with or without the plastic covering.

-It can be painted with any usual model paint and superglue

Thought you might find this useful.

T

Task Force 57

Hey there oddball!

Just been doing some work on a 1/48 Chieftan MBT... and yupski!!!! the telephone wire worked a treat on engine compartment, chears!.

Now all i need to do is give it the "special" Treatment... set up some little extra's like speakers, a lengh of pipe for the main gun tube to fool the ruskies into thinking "like its maybe a 145mm..." and a WWII yank commander along with a driver with Fez and a bunch of GI's riding on the back.

:respect1: Here's a thought, do you think the special APESH rounds the Jerries had in 44/45 for the Jag panthers/Tigers and KingTigers could do for a Chieftan? Been planning a little tabletop campaign using Micro Armor and an alternate time line (like a BOAR armoured brig. jumping back in time to June 44 and showing up in time for "goodwood", "supercharge" and Marketgarden" to see if " berlin by xmas" could have been even remotely viable).

"To a Berliner like you a "hero" is some sort of weird smoked sausage,

Not some Dumkof that takes on three Chieftans..."

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

If you think about it all domestic wiring can give you a whole range of sizes of copper cores that can be usefull for modelling in all sorts of scales. Telephone wire is particularly useful for small engine piping and the like bit I have even used domestic 2.5mm ring main core for the hand rail on my boat bridge as here:

View attachment 15531

14-11-06-04BenAinConstruction134.jpg

T

tag

Also Guitar strings look ok for armoured cables and the first part make good arials

B

backonthecase

Yep - got 10 and 12 guage guitar strings for HT leads and gas/fuel pipes on a Jaguar XJ220 engine.