Exercise in Grey

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7965.JPG

I wasn't going to run a thread on this, as it's a simple bust and will be quick to do. It's a Verlinden 200mm offering depicting Bobby Lee, and is more or less all grey - the only colour really is in the flesh tones, so it will be an interesting monotone exercise.

I've done the head, which is a so-so likeness:

100_7962.JPG100_7964.JPG

The hair and beard were heavily textured and hard to paint. I wanted to avoid it looking too white and worked with a mixture of dry-brushing and washes to get an even finish, using Vallejo German Camo Black Brown and Off White.

Next, the torso, which is pretty simple:

100_7966.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice , :smiling:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Good start and very timely with my work in monochrome to come.

Your hair is looking the part and is definitely something I will need to follow.

Bookmarked

Should be a a simple palette today in the grey weather too.

No Painting yet but all primed and my wet palette set up again, for the Scale 75 black and white set

Have a good day and hopefully the maize wont be too overwhelming.

Regards

Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great start.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for looking in everyone. Blooming sight easier working at this larger scale and much more enjoyable too.

Steve H - The comb-over was a first for me. I find grey hair difficult as you have to keep the tones fairly close. As I mentioned, this was also heavily textured and took a lot of work to pick out the detail. Should get this done today and hopefully some newly ordered figures will turn up, which I'm excited about. Get those brushes out!!

Reactions: JR

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Breathtaking stuff Peter. Love the fall of the light on the face.
Cheers
Paul

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Neil and Paul.

He's finished:

100_7971.JPG100_7972.JPG100_7973.JPG

I painted the tunic with mixes of Vallejo Basalt Grey, Matt Black and Off White. I decided to make the waistcoat a brighter blue in order to help liven it all up a bit, and the buttons and stars were painted with Vallejo Old Gold and highlighted with bright Gold.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter, that's a stunner, regards Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes, that will do nicely Peter.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Very nice finish, a simple sculpt well painted.

The buttons, stars and waistcoat lift the greyness, nicely.

Hopefully your new work arrives/has arrived?

I'm all set for some grey work but just don't have the time at the moment with work, even from home!

I have some plastic card primed for some wash practise for the white/grey complexion work

The armour will be following a ""Day"", metal masterclass.

Enjoy the cooler weather and next victim

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

I must admit to being quite pleased with this one; nice and simple and a decent sculpt from Verlinden. The new stuff hasn't arrived yet and I'm reluctant to start anything in the stash, so hopefully it will turn up to day. I've also run out of brushes, having been let down by one of my suppliers, so hopefully a couple of emergency orders will also turn up.

Hope you're getting used to home-working. I can see that you have to be quite disciplined not to wander off and dabble at the bench, as would happen with me.