F-14B TOMCAT 'VF-103' Jolly Rogers Christmas Special - 1:72 Hasegawa

C

Caledonia

It's seasonal, but it won't be finished this Christmas, and besides not sure I would like the scull and crossbows wearing a Santa Hat, looks spooky but will decide later, how about voting??

Anyway, have had this one in my stash for a couple of years now, so have decided to bite the bullet. Reason for the delay?, well although it's a 1:72 scale there are 211 pieces in the box, should be interesting.

View attachment 54654

Kit comes in three plastic bags.

View attachment 54655

One bag contains 5 plastic sprues, and another bag contains 6 plastic sprues + one photo etch part.

View attachment 54656View attachment 54657

The last plastic bag contains the clear parts; decals and decal/paint instructions. There is also a 16 page instruction book.

View attachment 54658 There must have been one small piece of the kit which fell off at the factory, and was spotted by their Q.A. dept, as they have included it in its own bag which you can see at the left of this last photo.

Two decal options are provided for the Aircraft Carriers 'George Washington', and the 'Dwight D Eisenhower', I will be doing the latter, as I remember this great man when he was President visiting Aberdeen in 1959 on his way to visit our Queen at Balmoral Castle, I was at school, and remember us all lining the road to seen him pass.

Cheers Derek

p.s. how's this for a photo of pure raw power.

View attachment 54659

View attachment 56857

View attachment 56858

View attachment 56859

View attachment 56860

View attachment 56861

View attachment 56862

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K4.jpg

K5.jpg

K3.jpg

f14-tomcat-920-0.jpg

Last edited:
M

mobear

this has to be my favourite jet of all time,just that head on look of it and the sleekness of the thing,a little bird told me i`m getting one for xmas,can`t wait lol,happy building mate

mobear

C

Caledonia

Hi Ole, we might just manage our own mini group build? Cheers Derek

First Name
Drew
I'm sure this could come under a Special GB. I'd be up for that one too!

As for the kit, looks nice, I was thinking about getting this kit and doing the Santa tail art (maybe I'll put it on the list for the second half of 2013).

Last edited by a moderator:
T

treyzx10r

Looking forward to seeing this build out Derek! I like the Santa hat on the S&B myself ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks an interesting build Derek. That last photo, I wonder if it's something to do with a steam catapult ? I don't even know if the americans use them !

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Looks an interesting build Derek. That last photo, I wonder if it's something to do with a steam catapult ? I don't even know if the americans use them !
Hi Colin, Yes it is the steam catupult generating the steam, makes for a very dramatic picture don't you think. Cheers Derek

Hasegawa makes absolutely amazing models. would love to see them taking care of some WW2 tanks. I have a f14 myself. Some parts didn't even required glue. Unfortunately I painted it and spilled thinner over it while cleaning the airbrush. Tomcat awaits stripping at the moment. Actually its been two years already. Need to dp that, but I will need to disassemble couple of parts and I cant start it somehow.

anyways, will be watching this thread! good luck!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like a good little kit Derek. Look forward to seeing it come together.

As for the mini GB or and SIG, I have just to remind you that although a bit late for a Group build, per say. One of you just has to make a thread in the SIG chat and suggest or propose a SIG and drum up some interest from at least nine others. Ten names on the list and I will open a forum for it.

I think there are plenty of special paint scheme tomcats that that alone would be a nifty idea, if only to see how many different tomcats we could get covered.

Sorry Derek, I will get off your thread and let you get on with it.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Looks like a good little kit Derek. Look forward to seeing it come together.As for the mini GB or and SIG, I have just to remind you that although a bit late for a Group build, per say. One of you just has to make a thread in the SIG chat and suggest or propose a SIG and drum up some interest from at least nine others. Ten names on the list and I will open a forum for it.

I think there are plenty of special paint scheme tomcats that that alone would be a nifty idea, if only to see how many different tomcats we could get covered.

Sorry Derek, I will get off your thread and let you get on with it.

Ian M
Hi Ian, was only joking about the group build. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Have been having a break from modeling over the festive season which gave me a chance to think (a rare event). Anyway, looking at my shelves with a lot of 'gray' aircraft led me to wondering what, if any, other colour schemes the F-14's were painted; so trawling through the airliners. net website I came across this beauty.

Photos: Grumman F-14A Tomcat Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Hunted the web for decals, and found they were readily available in all scales, so purchased some as well as the Eduard ZOOM set.

View attachment 55606View attachment 55607

Hope to make a start next week. Derek

(p.s. sorry about the santa hat)

View attachment 57749

View attachment 57750

K6.jpg

K7.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh an NSAWC adversary. Good Choice. I rather like the blue splinter camou one myself.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That choice looks like a nice alternative Derek, well done on the research i thought all tomcats were 'navalised' !

C

Caledonia

\ said:
That choice looks like a nice alternative Derek, well done on the research i thought all tomcats were 'navalised' !
Hi Colin, You get the choice of two 'Blue', two 'Desert' and two 'Gray' paint schemes with the decal set I mentioned. See details below. They are available in 1:72; 1:48 and 1:32. Left me in a bit of a quandary for my 1:32 Trumpeter Tomcat. Derek

Buy Fightertown FT72002 1:72 scale from Hannants. We sell Aircraft decals (military), models, decals, paints & books.

C

Caledonia

Finally made a start on this kit. First a couple of shots of the kit parts for the cockpit, and a close-up of the seats.

View attachment 56518View attachment 56519

Filed off the moulded safety harness, and a few other items; re-scribed the back rest, and fitted the Eduard Zoom set. I am using this site as a guide for the seats - HOME OF M.A.T.S. - The most comprehensive Grumman F-14 Reference Work - by Torsten Anft!

View attachment 56520View attachment 56521

A few shots of the cockpit Tub, again using the Eduard Zoom set. To be fair the kit provides the option of unpainted embossed photo etch or decals.

View attachment 56522View attachment 56523View attachment 56524

Have a feeling this model could be a real tail sitter, so have packed the space between the tub and bulkhead with some blue tack, as well as the nose cone.

View attachment 56525

Cheers Derek

View attachment 58566

View attachment 58567

View attachment 58568

View attachment 58569

View attachment 58570

View attachment 58571

View attachment 58572

View attachment 58573

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

B8.jpg

M

mobear

what a good start to this really nice paint job on the detailing

mobear

C

Caledonia

The cockpit areas has two panels at the Cannon location which are poor fits, don't know why they are provided as separate panels as there is no cannon provided. Masked off surrounding area to protect the very shallow panel line and rivet detail before filling.

View attachment 56683

Been cutting the various sub-assemblies off the sprues and cleaning them up. The kit provides for open or closed exhaust nozzel petal options, internet photos suggest the F-14 is parked with the peals open, so will adopt this option.

View attachment 56684View attachment 56685

You have a choice with the wings of either closing or deploying the wings leading edge slats and flaps, I will be closing them as I am going for the swept back wing configuration, which is the norm for parked aircraft of this type I believe. For this chosen config. you have to cut off the leading edge slat support runners and the hinged brackets.

View attachment 56686View attachment 56687

The cockpit canopy comes with a longitudinal seam, this has been removed, and the canopy treated with Klear.

View attachment 56688View attachment 56689

Cheers Derek

View attachment 58731

View attachment 58732

View attachment 58733

View attachment 58734

View attachment 58735

View attachment 58736

View attachment 58737

B9.jpg

B10.jpg

B11.jpg