F-22 sort of?

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
This isn't a manufacturer I'm familiar with, according to 'scalemates' it's heritage is with 'Aeroplast' out of Poland. On first sight it reminded me of HobbyBoss, the box artwork the instructions and the whole simplified sprue layout is reminiscent of HB of China.

F-22-Raptor-1.jpg

Quite a simple kit with soft details and low parts count, there's a little flash from this 2018 pressing from a ten year old mold .

F-22-Raptor-2.jpg

The instructions are typical exploded diagrams in seventeen stages, colour callouts are from the Humbrol paint range and FS color standard numbers also listed, the decals? Remains to be seen?

F-22-Raptor-3.jpg

I have three 'what if?' scenarios for this one, I'm going to do them all!!

Miko (looking forward to this one)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Not sure the original mold manufacturers had access to the blueprints of the F-22, the cockpit is quite imaginative! I don't really like to complain and criticise model kits, I don't find it helpful for the hobby, but it's difficult not to mention some design choices of this kit. The cockpit is very basic and I was searching for the part I assumed I'd missed to complete the seat, but nope, it looks like this! The control panel is transparent, which can be a good idea, but maybe not with this one, the only other thing in the cockpit is a joystick, I think, it doesn't really look like one, not that the F-22 has a joystick, I'm pretty sure it has HOTAS controls. it's nice they've included wedge of cheese shaped rudder pedals, not sure why though?

F-22-2.jpg

I spent a while snipping cutting and filing bit's of sprue to add a little to the seat to make it a bit more interesting with masking tape seat harness, normally I wouldn't bother but that big dome of a canopy reveals everything! and what's with the hole at the back of the cockpit, there's no blanking piece?

F-22-4.jpg

F-22-6.jpg

Miko (this one is testing my modelling skill, which is a good thing)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I'm not sure this thing is an F-22, not a Raptor at least, there are some quirky details for sure!

Lots of flash, the obvious type like this, but the subtle type that appears on the edge of mating surfaces causing gaps, test fitting is super important with this one

F-22-24.jpg

The hot end has some resemblance to an F-22, a bit basic but enough for me

F-22-27.jpg

The main landing gear bay is a well fitting box that slots into the lower fuselage, so far, the kits best feature!

F-22-28.jpg

I cannot fathom how the intake doors fit? There are two parts on the diagram A26, but there are four A26 on the sprue?

F-22-30.jpg

The lower wing parts I'll fit after the fuselage is together

F-22-29.jpg

Miko (it's called an F-22 on the box but no mention of the word Raptor?)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
I found myself wondering if there was a sprue missing? there's the gap behind the pilot seat and this, I need to engineer a solution to this problem, which is good!

F-22-33.jpg

the fit was acceptable, fixing with capillary action glue in stages beginning at the wing root then aft before joining the nose section, at this point I remembered I hadn't included anti tail sitter ballast, fortunately, the air intakes provide access! every cloud and all that! Ha!

F-22-31.jpg

F-22-32.jpg

After cleaning up the seams and filling the few gaps it's about ready for paint

F-22-Raptor-28.jpg

F-22-Raptor-30.jpg

Miko (might get this one done today)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
These kits, that were produced in Eastern Europe & have been reboxed several times, are notorious for fanciful details - they were probably based on early Western drawings and photos, and rushed out into the market to be one of the first.
I don''t think that MisterCraft have ever produced their own models. They rebox several older models, ie Heller - the plastic is the same, but the finish options & decal sheets are usually very good, especially for the price!
Dave

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
These kits, that were produced in Eastern Europe & have been reboxed several times, are notorious for fanciful details - they were probably based on early Western drawings and photos, and rushed out into the market to be one of the first.
I don''t think that MisterCraft have ever produced their own models. They rebox several older models, ie Heller - the plastic is the same, but the finish options & decal sheets are usually very good, especially for the price!
Dave

Yep, as mentioned above, this kit according to 'scalemates' was molded by Aeroplast in the early 2000's, this one was pressed by MisterKit also called MisterCraft of Poland in 2018.

It reminds me in many ways of a Javelin I built years ago from 'Plastyk' also of Poland

Miko

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The F-22 was and still is one of the better kept secrets of the USAF. There is a reason why it has never been offered to export and why ALL kits from the lightest pink of countries are a rough "kerb-side" version that looks like it a bit and total guess work inside. The Tamiya kit is said to be good and those from the European brands, Revell, Italeri, Which is even licenced by Lockheed Martin!

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
The F-22 was and still is one of the better kept secrets of the USAF. There is a reason why it has never been offered to export and why ALL kits from the lightest pink of countries are a rough "kerb-side" version that looks like it a bit and total guess work inside. The Tamiya kit is said to be good and those from the European brands, Revell, Italeri, Which is even licenced by Lockheed Martin!

I know Japan pushed hard to get F-22, it would have been difficult to licence produce which is their preference, but with all those 'classified materials and construction techniques not to mention the 'special' avionics, so even 'of the shelf' wasn't permitted by the US department of defense . . .

. . . except in a 'what if?' universe. . . . Watch this space!

Miko (composing a feasible back story!)