F-4J Phantom in 1/144 scale

First Name
Mike
From the Whirlybirds 1/144 kit, which is mainly resin with some white metal, photo-etch and vac-form parts thrown in. Not the easiest build but probably the most detailed and accurate F-4 kit in this scale, and the decal sheet was superb.

IMG_0242_8.jpg

IMG_0245_8.jpg

IMG_0248_8.jpg

IMG_0251_8.jpg

IMG_0253_8.jpg

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I didn't think tamiya did giant sized paint pots :smiling3:

That is superb  if you wouldn't know that was 1\144 if you hadn,t told us

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John Rixon

...I mean, those decals, for heaven's sake, I usually ignore the tiny ones on my builds (1/35) and ALL of those decals definitely come into that category. I am genuinely at a loss to get how this kind of quality is achieved at this scale. Well done that man!

First Name
Mike
...I mean, those decals, for heaven's sake, I usually ignore the tiny ones on my builds (1/35) and ALL of those decals definitely come into that category. I am genuinely at a loss to get how this kind of quality is achieved at this scale. Well done that man!

Thanks very much guys 
thumbs.png

John, the kit decal sheets (actually there were two sheets of stencils and various insignia) were superbly printed and all markings settled down really well, although I did have to wear an Optivisor to apply some of them. The only slight caveat with the kit sheet was that the orange fuselage stripe was supplied in two halves, but they were both the same instead of being mirrored! As a result I had to mask and paint the orange stripe.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lovely piece of work, if it wasn't for the paint pot you would never know it was 1/144th.

M

Mooks

That is truly a beautiful piece. Phantoms have some lovely curves but you have enhanced it with a suburb paint job. I have been looking at Phantoms and would love to produce something as clean as this but i was looking at 1/48!

M

Mooks

Mooks, my build article showing WIP was published in the June 2016 issue of Airfix Model World magazine.

I might download that this evening then. 

I stopped buying magazines awhile ago as I always found better stuff on forums like this but I am off camping next week so a bit of off line reading might be an idea.

Thanks for the heads up.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb Phantom Mike, and such a small scale too, awesome work.