F4U-2 Night Fighter Corsair 1/48 scale Hobby Craft

C

CDW

from what i've read on this method, I think waters used, salt added and then left to go dry Michael

First Name
Aaron
Yep water then salt added dry but i have also seen this way done with larger rock salt mixed with the water to a paste like consistancy.Its a fantastic method that has the added bonus of a "peeling" effect due to the "height" of the salt.you just cant get that effect by sponge or brush chipping.

T

TonyBv9

Lovely looking plane. I think the weathering looks fine. Planes operating in the Pacific theatre must have had a tough life. With fresh water a valuable resource, I doubt washing the aircraft was a top priority. This plane is filthy:

An - Military Aircraft Pictures armorer added another 5-inch rocket to the underside of the wing on a Chance Vought F4U Corsair.

Tony

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Fellas ,yes just a spray mist of water then I use various salts ,sea ,table or kosher depending on the effect I want. Aaron I used very heavily thinned testors rust through the a/b for the stains and btw nice tip about the paste have'nt thought of that!The first wash after a hair raising decal session. The decals were very brittle and the port side fuse star came apart,did my best to save it.

Buffed off the first wash then applied a second especially heavy underneath

Then the second wash is starting to tone things down and bring the panel line details out

Last edited:
First Name
Aaron
Trey nice save with the decals they look good.

The whole thing is comming alone really nicely, The washes came out fantastic and have toned down the chipping just right.

Pat yourself on the back bro, Well done.

M

mobear

fantastic build and now i know why its a night fighter,god its dirty lol,well played mate

mobear

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Trey some really nice colour variations going on there. Very realistic.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for the kind words Fellas I'm calling it done,overall not a bad kit except the decals but that might be due to age.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job trey! The paint work and weathering are perfect . A very interesting scheme too, ive never seen the night fighter colours before , with the medium blue overpainted with black, great stuff. cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
It looks great Trey, another brilliant F4U completed.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great job, perfect weathering Trey.

Vaughan

First Name
Michael
Trey, this is brilliant. You got the weathering and the wear and tear perfect, great plane, great build.

M

T

treyzx10r

Joe ,Ian,Vaughan and Michael thanks so much ,appreciate the compliments!