Fading

K

Krieg-Hammer

Hi just to pick your brains on fading paint for armour modelling. Currently have a Tiger 1:35 in a Normandy Camo scheme. I want to fade the overall paint scheme. Can I use very very thin Tamiya buff to achieve this? Or is there another way of doing it? I want fade the paint before I do a pin wash and add pigments. Thanks in advance.

B

Bunkerbarge

This is only an opinion based on nothing I have done but what I suspect may happen. As you are trying to simulate a faded paint finish you want to generate an effect of sun bleaching so I suspect that a light grey would look better. I suspect that buff may end up giving the tank a "yellowed" effect, which might look a bit odd.

I would definately try it on a scrap piece first.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Faded paint is faded paint whatever it's on! I fade by post shading with lightened shades of the original colours. Obviously horizontal surfaces get more sun than vertical ones so don't fade everything the same. Do several shades by adding drops of the lightening colour to your paint cup. You can give a light spray of a suitable colour to tie it all together,for most camouflage (greys/greens) a grey will work. As Richard said,have a practice first.

Cheers

Steve