Ferret

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I’m hoping for some help from the forum regarding this picture and my next build. When my Russian aircraft is finished I will be starting on the Airfix Ferret. The pic is of my dad when on active service in Cyprus with the household cavalry. I’m guessing their vehicles are painted white as a later option on the model is a parachute brigade one which is white. I’d like to know what the overalls are and also if anyone does British military registration numbers so I could make one up.
Finally any ideas what colour the number would be on the front mudguard.
Thanks.
89124005-21E5-44B8-A03C-F4AC2DF463ED.jpeg

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
It looks like the guy in the Ferret is wearing a tank crew "Pixie Suit" - MiniArt do a "British Tank Crew Winter Uniforms" set which would be suitable as the same suit was in service from WW2 until the '70s.
The guy in the Saracen is wearing a DPM jacket

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
It looks like the guy in the Ferret is wearing a tank crew "Pixie Suit" - MiniArt do a "British Tank Crew Winter Uniforms" set which would be suitable as the same suit was in service from WW2 until the '70s.
The guy in the Saracen is wearing a DPM jacket
The one in the Pixie suit is my late dad, thanks for that Mark

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mick,
I am probably wrong but that "46" is more than likely on a red and blue background. No doubt someone will be able to tell you.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What year is that mate? I agree the '46' is on a red/blue background (horizontal 50% I'm sure) - the Woodentops and Donkey Wallopers use their red/blue (in various permutations) at every excuse! I only ask because DPM and Pixie Suits don't seem to mesh easily in my (fading) memory. As an aside the Household Division colours are quite dark and distinctive - your father probably has something to provide a reference for you!
Steve

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I always thought the red and blue 50/50 horizontal split formation/DZ flash was the Royal Artillery. Isn’t it dark red with two thin horizontal dark blue bands for the household division?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Your father is indeed wearing Overalls, Tank Crews (plural for both), commonly known as a “pixie suit” today but also as a “zoot suit” during the Second World War:

IMG_0073.jpegIMG_0074.jpeg

This example is dated sometime in the 1950s (I want to say 54, but I’m not sure off the top of my head) so they were in service for quite some time after the war, too. This probably explains the overlap between the overalls and the DPM worn by the chap on the second Ferret.

Not sure about the colour of the vehicles, but white makes sense if it was a UN mission, and seems to fit with the colour of the letters and numbers on the number plates — though the vehicles could also be in another pale colour that just comes across as white in the photo, of course.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I always thought the red and blue 50/50 horizontal split formation/DZ flash was the Royal Artillery. Isn’t it dark red with two thin horizontal dark blue bands for the household division?
I think you may be correct mate - I've assumed that was only for Foot Guards Regiments - duurh! Our UN vehicles were white by the way.
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just checked some photos relating to UN vehicles - they appear in both white and a very close match to Humbrol 93 - disregarding the effects of sun bleaching etc
Steve

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
What year is that mate? I agree the '46' is on a red/blue background (horizontal 50% I'm sure) - the Woodentops and Donkey Wallopers use their red/blue (in various permutations) at every excuse! I only ask because DPM and Pixie Suits don't seem to mesh easily in my (fading) memory. As an aside the Household Division colours are quite dark and distinctive - your father probably has something to provide a reference for you!
Steve
Thanks Steve, love the nicknames, it’s late 50’s

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Your father is indeed wearing Overalls, Tank Crews (plural for both), commonly known as a “pixie suit” today but also as a “zoot suit” during the Second World War:

View attachment 492679View attachment 492680

This example is dated sometime in the 1950s (I want to say 54, but I’m not sure off the top of my head) so they were in service for quite some time after the war, too. This probably explains the overlap between the overalls and the DPM worn by the chap on the second Ferret.

Not sure about the colour of the vehicles, but white makes sense if it was a UN mission, and seems to fit with the colour of the letters and numbers on the number plates — though the vehicles could also be in another pale colour that just comes across as white in the photo, of course.
Thanks Jakob, more research required, any idea about getting reg plates?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
any idea about getting reg plates?
Not off the top of my head, other than using generic rub-down transfers on a black-painted rectangle. Or cutting up kit decals of suitable letters and numbers.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mick
Reference my last; the Woodland Pattern DPM clothing was designed about 1960, issued from '63 to Special Forces only before general issue from 1966-1968 onwards. Prior to this the combat gear was the 1960 Pattern green sateen combat clothing of essentially the same style which continued to be worn for some time contemporaneously thereafter (see early Op Banner photos for example).The 'Pixie Suit' (Oversuit, Tank Crew) was issued from '43 and continued to be worn until the mid '60s. Therefore I think late 50's is a little problematic in terms of dating - the camouflage jacket certainly seems the wrong cut and pattern for the Denison smock - a conundrum I'd love to see resolved!
Steve

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Mick
Reference my last; the Woodland Pattern DPM clothing was designed about 1960, issued from '63 to Special Forces only before general issue from 1966-1968 onwards. Prior to this the combat gear was the 1960 Pattern green sateen combat clothing of essentially the same style which continued to be worn for some time contemporaneously thereafter (see early Op Banner photos for example).The 'Pixie Suit' (Oversuit, Tank Crew) was issued from '43 and continued to be worn until the mid '60s. Therefore I think late 50's is a little problematic in terms of dating - the camouflage jacket certainly seems the wrong cut and pattern for the Denison smock - a conundrum I'd love to see resolved!
Steve
Steve, when operating in the field, did the Army have stocks of kit available? (Serious Question).
The reason I ask, certainly in my case, if kit was damaged/destroyed when on ops we would simply scrounge what we could get. On one op I returned to my home base more like 'Percy Pongo' than 'Jack me Heartie' as I ran out of clobber to wear!
Also, when away from base, non regulation kit would be worn as if to say 'look at me' I have a 'para smock' or such.
I know 'Gucci' kit today still goes amiss if left lying around too long!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mick
Second line and REMFs were more likely to be able to draw on the largesse of the QM resources, otherwise scrounging and 'proffing' were well-known methods of retaining one's sartorial elegance! Non-regulation 'Gucci' kit was generally tolerated in most units - Bergans, smocks, boots, Norwegian Army shirts, gloves for example - although certain units (the Guards spring to mind here) seemed to be averse to such variation. Having said that look at pictures of the Scots Guards on Tumbledown to see the numerous and wonderful permutations of standard issue kit! Also bear in mind my time was '65-'89 and the kit seems much more standardised and of better quality (especially boots!) today!
Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Though is it important what camouflage jacket the fellow standing on the Saracen is wearing exactly, if the idea is to make a model of the Ferret?