Fibre Optics in a model

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If i were to try and incorporate some fibre optic lights into a 1/72 model kit (probably four lights at most). What equipment would i need to get to install the fibre and run it. And how easy is the fibre optic to work with?

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Never done it myself but seen it done on YouTube. A guy did it with a watch battery, an LED and some fibre optic strands.
Maybe YouTube has the answers?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
For some reason this has gone into the wrong forum area. Should have been in General Modelling Chat. Hmm. Mods could you move please?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI AL F/O is very easy to work with I have fitted it in planes for nav lights all you need is to make a small hole at the wing tips an elsewhere if usin 1mm f/o an glue it in place but no ninety degree turns with it only gentle curves back to a white bulb an then usein tamayia colour clear paints the end nr the bulb the coulour you want to show
chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. This needs a bit more investigation. It could make my build 'pop' a little more

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL AL IF YOU don't want them this bright all you need to do is fit a heavy resistor
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve done this before, but it’s a bit awkward to post about it now. Will do so tomorrow morning.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Not sure how bright i want it yet. Think a variable resistor would be the way to go

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Not sure Chris. I'd have to take some measurements to see what would be feasible.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Al do you know if you want to work the lights from a batt or mains electric as mine is mains for my planes but F/O is cheaper
chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It would have to be a battery operated system. It would only be turned on once in a blue moon lol

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just looked at the LED bulbs John has in the Scale Model Shop shop. I presume the wheat bulbs are bigger than the rice bulbs?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s now tomorrow morning, and I’ve found the thing I wanted to post:

That’s a thread I posted in 2008 on a Warhammer 40,000 forum about a Land Raider I had equipped with a light-and-sound show: an MP3 player with speakers, plus blinking and continually on LEDs, the former lighting up the exterior through fibre-optics. (Note that I had to disable my adblocker to get that site to load images.)

optics_on_3.jpg

Check the thread for a thorough description, but the basics of it are that I bought some blinking LEDs and soldered them together with some resistors (again, see the thread for how to calculate what you need) into this circuit:

circuit.png

You can ignore the bit on the left with the MP3 player and amplifier, of course. It all looks like this in the flesh:

electrics.jpg

For the fibre-optics themselves, I used a cheap TOSLINK cable I bought at an electrics store:

fibre-optic_cable.jpg

On the left is the normal plug that’s at both ends of the cable, on the right is a piece I cut off and stripped. Initially I wanted to leave the black covering on it, but decided to remove it because it made the cable much thicker and less flexible. Inside the model, I put everything together like this:

electrics_and_optics_in_place_1.jpg

I drilled holes into the sides of bits of plastic tube and glued them into the model, then inserted the fibre-optics. The LEDs sit inside the pieces of tube:

electrics_and_optics_in_place_2.jpg

Here’s the model with the power off and on:

optics_off.jpg
optics_on_1.jpg

The fibre-optics stick out from the side of the model so that I could paint the vehicle without having to mask 1 mm diameter lights: I just painted right over them and when I was done, trimmed the fibre-optics back to sit flush with the sides of the model.